1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: programs open with notepad

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bigste78, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigste78

bigste78 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me? My computer has recently started opening all programs with the notepad application. I have looked at the file extensions in 'folder options' and can't see any obvious problems. I can only access Outlook and Internet explorer from my desktop - nothing else works.

2. Akito

Akito

3. bigste78

bigste78 Thread Starter

Tried tendmicro's housecall, but found no viruses. Normally use Norton 2004 and run regular scans. Also tried downloading and running xp file association, but that didn't work either. Found this file which is for configuration settings - it is set to open with notepad. Could this be the problem, and if so, what should it open with?

DCBC2A71-70D8-4DAN-EHR8-E0D61DEA3FDF

It is located in \Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Application Data

4. Akito

Akito

5. bigste78

bigste78 Thread Starter

Can't open Spybot as it opens in a notepad window. I was already using an updated version of ad-aware 6.

6. Akito

Akito

Yeah, guess that makes sense.

Hmm......

If you can, go into explorer, and then tools > folder options.
    Go to "File Types" and see if the .exe file type is registered with notepad. It's a long shot, but I'm not sure what else to do :-/

7. bigste78

bigste78 Thread Starter

Here's a thing...there doesn't seem to be an .exe file type listed! There is an .EXC file type that is described as a text document and opens with notepad. Is is possible that a virus or something changed the EXE to EXC and associated it with notepad? If so, what's the best way to fix it?

8. Fredledingue

Fredledingue

Do a "Find" "files and folders" look for *.exc, then *.exe and see how many *.exe remains.
    If some files that you are sure should be exe, are listed as exc, you have the answer.

9. bigste78

bigste78 Thread Starter

Managed to create a second administrator account, copy my files & delete my account and re-configure the new account. Lost my e-mails and internet history, but everything is working ok now. Don't know how or why or what caused it??? Thanks for all your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice