1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Programs will not execute from START>Programs menu

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ssguy, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssguy

ssguy Thread Starter

Programs will not execute from the START>Programs menu list.

I can execute the programs from the Start menu/programs folder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That is very strange. The programs Menu is the Windows\start menu\programs folder cascaded. They are the same shortcuts.
    If you right click on the start button and choose open, then double click on the programs icon. find a shortcut and double click on it, does it open? If you then go to Start>programs and find the same shortcut, does that not work?

3. ssguy

ssguy Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. I can execute the programs from the shortcut in the cascased folder (reached through a right click on the START button, etc.) but cannot execute them from the shortcut on the PROGRAMS menu. Really strange!! I tried to search Micorsoft's KB but didn't come up with anything.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Neither did I. I think the first thing to do would be to perform a thorough Anti Virus Scan with the latest signature files. Here's a link to an Internet free online Scan.
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Second step would be to see what is starting when you start the computer. Go here and download Startup log. Run it. Paste the contents into a post here, please.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

And the third would be to see if you have any Spyware.
    Let's do the first two and then have you download AdAware and run it. Readnthe direction carefully. Do a deep registry scan and be sure to also make a backup. You can restore if there's a problem.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Also, try creating a new Shortcut in your Program's folder and see if it will work from the programs menu.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you haven't done all this already. First try to create that new shortcut and see if it works.
    Second, did this just start happening?
    If so, you might try to restore a porevious registry from a date before this started. You should have 4 or 5 days worth of registries.
    To do that, boot and hold the CTRL button down to bring up the boot menu. Choose Command Prompt only.
    At the prompt type

scanreg /restore and press enter
    Choose a registry prior if it exists. You will lose all install and uninstalls since that date.
    Or if it is too late for that (more than 5 days) Try this command instead.
    scanreg /fix and press enter.

6. ssguy

ssguy Thread Starter

The problem is solved. The Logitech wireless mouse did not have the correct software loaded. I installed the correct software and it solved the program execution problem as well as an erratic mouse behavior problem.

Thanks for the help.

SSGUY

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice