1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: projection only?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bec0222, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

my mom's laptop is a windows7. a box popped up while she was playing an online game. it was a computer alert. she didnt read it. she did see part of it tho. She knows the part she clicked said project only. now her screen is black and we can't figure it out. we tried hitting escape and then we tried contol-alt-delete thinking it would bring up the task manager. it didnt the screen stayed black so we tried just shutting down the computer and restarting it.. nothing has worked. is there anyway to fix it?

2. w7pro

w7pro

She might have gotten some sort of virus on the computer. If you can, you might try to run it in Safe Mode and see if you can do a system restore. As a most extreme measure, you can do a clean install of Windows 7, though hopefully you'll have your files backed up.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

3. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

thats part of the problem. when u press the power button to turn it on the screen stays black. the power light turns on. but thats it. there is no way to select safe mode...

4. w7pro

w7pro

Yikes. You might have to do a clean install then.

5. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

ok thank you. if you can think of anything else that might help, i'd be extremely grateful.. :]

6. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

does the screen show any startup logo (Dell, Acer, etc), if it has ever before? and does it show the Win7 logo at startup?

7. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

it doesnt show anything at all upon start up. its just a black screen. its been that since she clicked in the box. and it wasnt like an internet pop up box or anything. it was an actual computer alert type box. and as soon as she clicked it in went black. and again. the part she clicked said project only.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Might look for a key that has what looks like a little picture
    of a monitor on it.
    With the laptop powered on,hit the FN and that key at the same time.
    What model is the laptop?
    It should say on the bottom.
    It sounds like she may have hit some combination of function keys
    that switched to the external output only.

9. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

ok. the laptop is an hp g62 on the bottom it says it is a Windows7 Home Prem OA HP
    i cant find a button that has a pic that looks like a monitor.. I just donno what to do.

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

11. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

ok. so power it on.. give it time to power up.. i cant see the screen at all. so im just gonna guess. i dont have any idea what will happen after that. thank you for the link

12. bec0222

bec0222 Thread Starter

thank you so much. that link gave great instructions. and it worked... she is great now.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!