1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Prolinea 4/50

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

I'm working on a compaq prolinea 4/50 and i can't get it to recognize the cdrom drive. I have reinstalled the drivers for the controller card, but it is still a no go. The drive was working fine until i uninstalled some hp printer software. Now I cannot install anything because i dont have cdrom support.

The system is using windows 95 with 12mb ram. The cdrom connects to a controller card that came with the computer. The controller card then plugs into a riser board that plugs into the motherboard in the machine. Please if someone knows anyway for me to get back the usage of the cdrom.........POST!!

Thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I think you are going to need real mode drivers for the cdrom. Have you checked Compaq's website?

Take a look at the autoexec.bat and config.sys.....are the real mode drivers loading there?

3. crabman

crabman Guest

i did a prolinea once ,i think she is right you can go to compaq .com and find the cd rom drivers you need.if it isnt the drivers i had a similar problem with mine i had to stick the cd rom and hard drive on the same ide cable.my problem was the hard drive wouldnt detect.you can also call compaq because that is a commercial destop model they will support it.but try going and downloading those sofpaqs at compaq .com

4. lonesome_wolf2000

I went to compaq's site and navigated through their support section. I picked the following information:

software & drivers >> desktop prolinea series >> Prolinea 4/50 >> Windows 95.

The updates they have listed didnt appear to be what i need. I also checked the config.sys and autoexec.bat files to see if there was a cdrom driver being loaded. There wasn't. So i found a generic cdrom driver disk and installed it. Now when the computer boots up it says :

"CD-Rom driver not ready"

Wrong Driver? Or just something i need to change?

UPDATE:

I then tried to copy one of the files off of a windows 98 startup disk. I copied Oakcdrom.sys to the hard drive and told the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to load the driver. The computer boots up normally. I get a cdrom icon in My Computer, but it will not read any cd's. When you try it pops up a box that is empty and says 0 objects in folder. Also in device manager there is no entry for the cdrom drive, but there is a new ide/esdi hard disk controller. There was already one there before, but this one has an exclamation mark on it. I checked the properties and it says that all the drivers are not installed for this device.

Now what?

5. lonesome_wolf2000

I managed to find a longer cable and attatch the cdrom to the same cable as the hd. Now the cdrom works fine.

6. ~Candy~

Have you tried reading more than one cd?

Is the cdrom working from dos? Try booting with a bootable floppy with cdrom support and pop a cd in the drive and try to get a directory.

7. supertech

supertech

the crabman was right about putting both on the same ide cable then????? how about that candy who was that masked crabber:D

8. ~Candy~

lonesome, it would be better if you didn't go back and edit older posts....it makes other postings after yours look moot.

and supertech, it's a well known fact that you are crabman.....

9. supertech

supertech

damn ill go use the puter in the other room:D

10. lonesome_wolf2000

sorry, didnt mean to confuse anyone.....
    Thanks for all the help though.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice