Solved: Properties not available

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrcobra

Winxp OS. When I right click on my desktop to go to properties, "NOTHING" happens. Why is this happeningandcanI fix this ?

Thank you

Go to Start > Run enter:

desk.cpl

does it open?

Or how about through the Control Panel applet for Display?

If not, verify that the file desk.cpl exists in the %windir%\system32 folder -- where %windir% is your windows path.

There is a registry restriction which can hide it, but I believe you would be informed of the Administrative restriction if it were present:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
Name: NoDispSettingsPage
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

Mrcobra

Rollin' Rog said:
Go to Start > Run enter:

desk.cpl

does it open?

Or how about through the Control Panel applet for Display?

If not, verify that the file desk.cpl exists in the %windir%\system32 folder -- where %windir% is your windows path.

There is a registry restriction which can hide it, but I believe you would be informed of the Administrative restriction if it were present:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
System]
Name: NoDispSettingsPage
Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
1) It did not open
2) Once in control panel. I have no idea about this applet thing I see NOTHING that would associate with the properties.

Do a File Search for desk.cpl

You should find it in system32 folder

Try double clicking it directly. If not there or it doesn't open, see if any others will open where you find them, and if it does, copy it to the system32 folder.

If you have a servicepack upgrade, there should be a copy in the windows\servicepackfiles\I386 folder. That should be the prefered location to restore from.

Mrcobra

Properties are now back. I had to send the file to that computer...

thanks for all of the help guys.

Great, I'll mark the thread "Solved" then, but for future reference this option is available to you in the Thread Tools menu on this page, when appropriate.

You're most welcome for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online