1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Protection for children on the internet

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Recessionbuster, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Recessionbuster

Recessionbuster Thread Starter

Hello
    I am looking for some real expert advice on this matter please. It is very important that I invest in very good quality security software that can be used for my home laptop.
    I have young children and now fostering a child who is using the internet but has never been watched or has bounderies in this matter. I am absolutely watching her like a hawk but I would rather we can all relax by installing a high quality security software program that I know that I can walk out of the room without her clicking on some explicit website. She has never done so but she is on facebook and I would normally be very careful about letting my children on such things but becuase she has lost all contact with her friends I want her to be left with something! I have checked her history continually and come across stuff that is only a few clicks away from explict discussions and I know if she gets curious she will be vulnerable to all sorts of nasty stuff. So bottom line, I want her secure with my other 2 young children.
    I do not mind spending money on this but I would really appreciate someone who knows a lot about this to advise me. I believe theres software out there that can text you with the names of sites a user is clicking into and do lots of stuff to keep them safe.
    I am also looking for advice of how to protect my kids from other means of internet access. i.e computer games and phones. Up until now I have been very comfortable with how I have handle this but we have been fast forwarded by 4 years. So would really appreciate some quality advice.

Thanks

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I use OpenDNS myself, and I have some customers using their business services as well as their residential service (both free and paid versions. It's one of the few cloud services that I'm really enthusiastic about. Since you don't have to install any software on your computer, there are no potential conflicts or issues with incomplete removals causing Internet connection problems, etc. Besides that the free service includes malicious site filtering and makes a nice additional layer of security protection. Also, it works with any device you may have that connects to the Internet through your router, so game consoles etc. are protected as well.

4. geek-assist

geek-assist

As phantom said ,k-9 is one of the best programs out there. I have personally installed it on many of my customer's computers who wanted to protect their children from explicit content

5. Recessionbuster

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I have heard of K9 but not the others. Good to get a recommendation rather than a virus...
    I will check them out. Very grateful for your quick responses!
    Best of everything
    R

6. Recessionbuster

K9 not working. My whole internet just kept freezing. I had to uninstall.

7. Phantom010

8. Recessionbuster

9. Phantom010

10. steve0steve

steve0steve

Just bear in mind if you start to block site/filter sites you may find that your internet might become slower

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Golly, Recessionbuster, might I take this opportunity to say "I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving" and "I told you so"?

12. Recessionbuster

Dear Phantom010

Thanks for your help. I have looked into all of them but I have settled on a recommendation I got. It is Net Nanny and although It was not free, I am very pleased with it.
    I really appreciate your prompt responses.

Thanks
    R

13. Recessionbuster

Thanks Snagglegaster

I did also look at your recommendation. I am grateful for your help. However Net Nanny has a facility that emails me for every unauthorised site that the user attempts to go into. This was a feature that I liked and was looking for.
    Sorry but I am Irish. I dont celebrate Thanksgiving but I hope you had a good one!

14. Recessionbuster

Thanks Steve0Steve
    I know this is a symptom but this is not a problem as the adminstrator has a separate setting which will allow me to have complete access without blocking. It is for the reason that you have pointed out that I have set up the admin this way - to prevent slowing down. It works very well. When I set installed it initially I had to find my way around the software and go through each of the users settings but now that I have it sussed - it is working perfectly.

15. Phantom010

You're welcome!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice