1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PS Elements error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by fotofixFTM, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fotofixFTM

fotofixFTM Thread Starter

I have Photoshop Elements 4 and have been using it for years. Suddenly, I can't open the program. I get an error message "attempt to access invalid address". I can't think of anything that has changed, no new installations, etc. My spy and antivirus program is up to date and hasn't found anything. I use Cyberdefender. I've uninstalled the PSE program, then reinstalled. I've cleaned the registry of anything related to PSE and tried to reinstall again. Nothing has worked. This is my go to program for all my graphics needs and I'm in trouble. It's been two weeks and I've made no progress in figuring this out.
    My OS is Windows Vista. If you need any more info, just ask. Hope someone can help me!

2. antimoth

antimoth

PSE4 was flagged as not compatible with Vista laptop when I installed it, even though it worked. If I recall, it had a hitch when I shut it down on my laptop, but otherwise I could edit and save. I no longer use it, having gone on to PSE7, (which doesn't have hardly any new features - aside from the curves tool which I haven't used).

I wonder if a Vista upgrade broke your Elements 4.0.

3. fotofixFTM

hmm, if that's it can I fix it? I really don't want to pay for the upgrade to PSE7 when I'm perfectly happen with the version I have. Well, would be if it was working now. You're right, that's a good explanation of why it would suddenly stop working. But can it be fixed?

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I wonder if you went into the Adobe Program folder .. found the PSE editor.exe file.
    Create a desktop shortcut to it .. If the editor will work.

I avoid using the organizing features of PSE .. And go straight to the editor on the newer versions.
    Maybe you can work this way PSE4.

Just guessing .. Maybe it the organizer that's confused .. I hope you don't use/need it.

PSE8 is out now.

5. fotofixFTM

I wish! The organizer works fine, the Editor won't work. And of course, I never used the Organizer, don't need it, but without the Editor it's no good. I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy the newest version and I really hate that!

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I can't remember when these tools were added ... I think it was after 4.0 ??
    You should love the Shadow/Highlight tool and the Spot Healing brush ..
    depends on what you use PSE for ???

In keeping with the latest trend in Software development ...
    they are now changing the interface color .. moving the tools around .. calling it a new version .. about every 12>18 months ..
    And trying to convince you to buy the "upgrade"

How are you sending the Image to the editor ???

7. fotofixFTM

I've tried a variety of ways, right clicking on the image and telling it to open in PSE, trying to save it to PSE, nothing will get the editor portion of the program to open. I'm afraid I'm done.

8. antimoth

antimoth

Noyb, I believe the spot healing brush was in 4.0. Used it often to get rid of spots left by dust on the sensor. And the shadow tool under lighting was there too in 4.0, if that's the tool you meant. It's nice, but in my opinion, tosses in a fake light. But fake is better than no detail at all.

FotofoxFTM - It seems like an incompatible program might have been installed. Did you install Google Chrome? Look back at what else might have come in when PSE4 bombed out.
    http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42149

Also search Google for "Photoshop Elements Invalid address" and you might see other things that could help.

9. fotofixFTM

I posted earlier that I had used the program since installing google chrome, then decided that with my non-concept of time passing, maybe I hadn't. Sure enough, that was the problem. I don't understand why my web browser would knock out a photo program, and I really did like google chrome, but I LOVE and MUST HAVE photoshop elements, so there you go. Once again, I'm indebted you to great, smart people! You've saved me lots of money and a big headache. You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice