Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: PS2 Keyboard & Mouse Plugs smell 'funny'

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  qldit 
#1 ·
Hey everyone - been a while since I posted - but I read quite often.
My problem is this: A while back I used a Belkin KVM switch to connect my regular dekstop (Dell Dimension 2400 - WinXP Pro) to a second CPU, same brand and model. The problem arrose when I left for the weekend, and returned on Monday to hear a loud screetching noise coming from my office.
The noise was some type of alarm on the KVM, and it had that funny electronic burnt smell coming from somewhere. I unplugged it from my primary computer and it kept going off, then stopped when I unplugged it from CPU#2. I narrowed down the smell to the KVM switch itself, and also the back of CPU#2. Because of my work schedule I just recently explored connecting them together again, but when I plugged the KVM into CPU#2, the alarm immediately sounded.
So - I plugged my keyboard and mouse (both ps2) directly into CPU#2, and they do not work. The smell is pretty much gone now, but I summize that the ports in the CPU#2 are burned out. Is there any way to replace them.
Machine boots fine and all that, but because I cannot control the mouse or get any key functions I cannot run any utilities to test them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
JR

See less See more
#4 ·
Most MB's have a small fuse for the PS/2 ports, it's a surface mount device. It takes a little skill to put one on, but it can be done.

Note that if you managed to cook the keyboard port itself, this won't help. This is the best I can do in ASCII. :)

#6 ·
This is the best I can do in ASCII
I'm not looking at the system, or "smelling" what you smell, so it's hard to know exactly what the situation is. I'm providing an "educated guess" of what I think the problem might be. :)

#7 ·
Good Afternoon Chaps, I suspect that "alarm" was the change of machine "beeper" sounding continuously.
I would further suspect that a problem has happened in the power selection switching source of the KVM. (probably some diode arrangement)
Last time I saw this kind of problem it was a chip on the M/B. (no fix)
But the KVM would likely have been the original failure source.
Was there any possibility there may have been an electric storm or something like that.
It would be apparent that computer #2 was master power source at the time of the failure.
The plug smelling at both ends probably relates to melting or plastic being affected by heat, possibly just in the plug.
Try sniffing through a straw aimed at proximity of the IC's near the PS/2 sockets.
Don't tell anyone I suggested this and make sure you post a picture of yourself doing it!!(LOL) (burning silicon addiction!)
Sounds like a new MB if you can't find that fuse. It is pretty small and doesn't look like a fuse. Probably have silkscreen designation of F? or something like that.
Usually located directly behind the PS/2 sockets.
Use a decent meter to measure them, some boards may have 3 or so.
I don't like your chances.
Best of luck, qldit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.