1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PS2 RCA -> amp -> HDMI-DVI cable to monitor?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BG-0, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Hello everybody.
    I'm finally on my way to the magical world of widescreen PC monitors from my trusty old 4:3 LCD and I'm absolutely stuck deciding between the two final contestants; Dell UltraSharp U2312HM and BenQ GW2450HM.
    The former seems to beat the latter in almost all aspects, except for connectivity, as it lacks HDMI.
    I plan to use the monitor both for PC gaming and movies as well as playing my PS2 on it through my amp, connected as described in the title, more clearly described now:
    I'll connect the RCA L+R+video cables from the PS to my amp's (Yamaha RX-V565) AV input, then make it output the video through its HDMI out and connect that to my monitor, either with a straight HDMI-HDMI cable or in the case of the Dell monitor, with an HDMI-DVI cable that I got just for that.
    The HDMI-DVI cable did not work before as, I believe, my current monitor just got confused by the forcibly upscaled 1080p signal from the amp. The monitors just blinked between a 'corrupted' grayish colour and a full blank screen.
    Now my question is, could that be because of something else (as in, it won't work with a 1080p monitor either) or was it just my monitor's limitations that made it not work that time?
    Thank you for reading and your possible input on this.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Could be the cable itself or the old monitor. Did the old monitor have full 1080P support? Or as you are/were trying to use HDMI, it could be a HDCP issue. If this is a new purchase, find a model and/or spend extra to get a current model with full HDMI support.

3. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Old monitor, as an 1600x1200 screen, definitely doesn't support 1080p. Yet, I only assume that the PS2's video signal, which definitely isn't 1080p either, got upscaled to 1080p and that was the problem. I am wondering if that indeed was the (only) problem I'm having right now or if there's going to be another issue even with a 1080p capable monitor.

4. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm no expert and I've not used a PS2, but I can find no reference that the PS2 has an HDMI output. The highest quality output that I see is component (red/green/blue RCA). And the video output seems to be 480i / 480P / 1080i.

5. BG-0

BG-0 Thread Starter

Already said I used PS2's RCA output in the OP. I've tried with a 1080p HDMI monitor now, the amp doesn't convert the video signal into a PC monitor compatible HDMI signal, mostly because of the PS2's video feed's refresh rate only compatible for TVs. Case closed, only reliable way to display a PS2 is by an old-school TV.

6. Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    It would then depend upon your AVR. The newer models will upscale any input video to match the HDMI output (or pass it untouched depending on how it's configured).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!