1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PS2 to ethernet to wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hendrick, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

I heard someone ask a question to a kid who knew a good amount about computers. The question was "If I have an empty ethernet port in my computer, could I configure my 360 to use my wireless internet?" The kid said yes, talked about some tool that is built in on XP and Vista. I missed the tool name, but instantly thought I would love to move my PS2 out of the basement, and into a room where it would actually get played.

So, the computer is connected to the internet through a simple USB wireless internet... stick. I was wondering if I plug my PS2 into the empty ethernet port in the back of my computer, how would I configure it to use the wireless network that is being picked up by the USB wireless card? I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks for the help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or bridge the connections. One of those was almost definitely the "tool" (I'd call it a feature or capability, but that's quibbling) the kid mentioned.

3. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

So I did a little research into ICS. I found this article. The first way, using Network Setup Utility, I decided to skip, because I already have a network set up so I can print from my laptop.

So onto the second way, manually configuring. When I got to step seven, clicking "ok", I received this error:
    192.168.0.1 is default for the router/modem. I don't know how to change that.

Thanks for the help.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What router do you have?

5. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

Motorola SBG940.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  7. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

I can login, but I don't see a place to edit the LAN IP.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  9. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

I was playing around with this a bit, and heres what I found out...

If I set LAN IP Address to 192.168.0.2, and change Starting IP to 192.168.0.3, then I can get all of the computers on the router set up. However, if I start the connection sharing, the IP for the computer changes to 192.168.0.1, but then it won't connect to the internet...

From playing around, I believe Starting IP needs to be greater then LAN IP Address, otherwise I get an error when I click apply.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Set the LAN to 192.168.3.1 (you want the first two numbers to be 192.168 and the third number to be non-zero). You will now be using two subnets and they need to be different. The ICS will use 192.168.0.x.

11. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

I received this error:
    Error 1: Invalid DHCP configuration. Starting IP Address not on LAN subnet.

Heres how they were configured:

LAN IP Address: 192.168.3.1
    LAN IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Starting IP Address 192.168.0.1

LAN IP Subnet Mask isn't changeable.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Change the Dhcp server's address range to the same subnet; e.g., 192.168.3.2 thru 192.168.3.100.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If that's the starting IP address for the DHCP pool in the router, you have to change that to 3 also.

14. Hendrick

Hendrick Thread Starter

Where at would that be? I'm looking for it, but I can't find anything about a range.

Change "Starting IP Address" to 192.168.3.2? Whats the difference with 0 and 3? I tried it with a 0, but I couldn't get that computer back online.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The difference is that you have changed the router's subnet to 192.168.3.x. Any other device connecting to that router now also needs to be in the same subnet. Because of the ICS you are trying to get working the network between your PC and PS2 will be using the 192.168.0.x subnet.

I vaguely remember from looking at that manual earlier that about the second or third line after the router's LAN address was the Dhcp server's starting IP address. Don't remember what came after that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/693720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice