1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: psu/motherboard/cpu start up problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glynnwi, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glynnwi

glynnwi Thread Starter

hi and thanks for reading. pc stopped working yesterday. would not shutdown with front panel switch, would not shutdown with cont,alt ,del. had to remove mains.
    (there was a LOT of dust in there, and system has been slowing down last few weeks).
    today turned mains on again, no start up beeps, no monitor output. reapplied mains, opened pc found green led on motherboard, but no fans running, but when mains turned off a few seconds later all case fans came on for 2 seconds and the front switch flashed. both my pcs run on win 2k.
    my questions are:
    (1).can i try my psu from my working pc or is it likely to blow that one.
    (2).is there a way of testing my non working psu, ie.. removing motherboard, drives, fans, and testing with multi meter.what voltages should i be getting
    (3).someone i know (but who has since turned off their phone) has suggested shorting the psu's green power on or off wire with any black wire and resetting the motherboard
    (4).can i remove harddrive from that machine and refit into this one.
    any help please.

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

3. glynnwi

glynnwi Thread Starter

hi thanks jack, no this is something i will resolve today, i have psu to try, have motherboard up and running in this pc just wanted to sound out best way. i need to get timesheet and other bits of non working pc but thanks for responce.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

So long as the working power supply has enough wattage to power the PC and neither PC is a Dell built before 2008 then it may be worth switching the known working power supply into the computer to see if it works :)

Jack-O-Bytes

5. glynnwi

glynnwi Thread Starter

hi jack, yes working pc is dell pre 2008,but have been out bought psu £20.00, cleaned out all fans and cpu, started first time. thank you again.

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Ahhh nice work :) Do you think you could mark this thread solved now?

Jack-O-Bytes

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Oh wait. I have just realised you already have lol

Jack-O-Bytes

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!