1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PSU pins

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turbow5, Jan 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

I have a coolermaster 750 watt PSU (power supply unit). I have read this both ways so I'l collect a few opinion here. I have no 8 pin connectors. I don't know who's brilliant idea it was to put no 8 pins in a 750 watt psu, but they didn't.

Is it ok if i hook up a 6 pin and 2 pin, or a twp 4 pins to a 8 pin connector? or will it not deliver as much power or short circuit the graphics card?

2. Spandexer

Spandexer

3. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

well I've seen a actual 8 pin so that's whats making me wander if that would work. thx for your option tho

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The two 4 pin motherboard power connectors provided are functionally identical to an 8 pin connector. This way, the PSU works fine with a motherboard that only requires a 4 pin connector. Otherwise, the power supply would need both a 4 pin AND 8 pin connector, or yet another adapter.

5. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

seems like your talking about motherboards, I understand how a motherboard would work but would a graphics card work like that?

They take a lot of power.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

A 6 + 2 pin cable is exactly the same as the 8 pin, if you are referring to the PCI-Express power connectors - that assumes the 6 and 2 pin connectors come off the same cable.

However you haven't been very clear in your details, you need to post the video card you have and the exact model of the power supply you have.

7. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

..... cant see how not?

A 750 watt PSU i want for a graphics card such as the 6990, requires two 8 pins. on max load that thing takes 400 watts.

What I'm simply asking is if i place a 6+2 or 4+4 in them will they work the same? and posted in your last post. "If they came off the same cable". So I'm guessing i can just find any pin and stick it in there.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

No, you can't "just take any pin and stick it in there".

The 4 pin power connectors are generally for the CPU not PCI-Express.

If you post the exact model of the power supply then we can easily tell you the solution or course of action, for example CoolerMaster GX-750W(RS-750-ACAA-D3) which has 4 sets of 6+2 PCI-Express power connectors as shown here: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6643

9. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

Model -- RS-750-ACAA

10. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

It seems that PSU has 4 sets of 6+2 pin power connectors, those are what you'd need to use. Most PSU's do not have an 8 pin connector because the 6+2 fulfills the requirement to have 6 and 8 pin connectors in a much more economical way.

11. turbow5

turbow5 Thread Starter

Well that makes more sense, thanks triple

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1034907