1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PSU Strong Enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wazzoo, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wazzoo

wazzoo Thread Starter

I bought a barebones bundle in a Thermaltake Tsunami case, with an inbuilt Hiper 430Watt Silent PSU. This is currently comfortably feeding my X2 5200+, an 8800GTS 320mb, 2 HDs and 2gb RAM.

I'd quite like to upgrade to an 8800GTX (just the one mind :D) soon (read: before the Crysis release) - will my PSU be enough? I know it's low as far as GTXs go, but like I say it's serving my GTS perfectly well.

Thanks!

2. brite750

brite750

well keep in mind that running a psu at or near its limits is dicey at best, it best to enter your hw into a psu configurator and then mult x 1.5 to 2

3. wazzoo

wazzoo Thread Starter

Thanks, anyone know a decent configurator? I had a look for some but the only ones I could find only catered for older hardware than mine.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. wazzoo

wazzoo Thread Starter

A great help thanks, even with an Ultra I only require 388W, seems a little low but hey :)

6. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

IMO you need a far bigger power suply, atleast 550W. If it's runing stable fine but if you are planning on anything else I wouldn't count on it.

7. kodi

kodi

you need to add 30% to allow for age and quality of the PSU

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!