1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PSU Swapping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zeppfan, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zeppfan

Zeppfan Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an E-Machines W2646 that just died due to a faulty Power Supply Unit.

I have two PSUs sitting on a shelf and was wondering if I could swap out the bad one for my shelved units?

The model of the existing BAD PSU is: (Bestec)ATX-250-12E

The two I have stored have the following model numbers.

1. (Delta) DPS-110MB-1
    2. (Dell) HP-P1457F3

Just wondering if either of these will work before having to purchase a new PSU.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is noth8ing special about the psu in the emachine but there may be about the Dell psu's you have there. it certainly would not hurt to try them but I wonder if they are not proprietary for a Dell though.

3. Zeppfan

Zeppfan Thread Starter

The Delta PSU came from an old HP pavilion, Circa the turn of the century.

The apparent difference between the PSUs are the connectors.

All have the 20 pin ATX plug, but my shelved units do not have the 4 pin ATX.

After looking again at the Dell PSU, this unit has a 6 pin connector as well as the 20 pin ATX.

I think I would be better off getting a new PSU.

Any Thoughts?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes new psu it is....but be aware though in most cases when a psu blows in an eMachine, it takes the motherboard with it so buy it somewhere you will be able to return easily if it doesn't solve problem.

5. Zeppfan

Zeppfan Thread Starter

Rich-M,

Thanks for the advice.

I purchased a PSU from Tigerdirect, and because the motherboard was toasted as well, I was able to return the PSU. Time to trash out the E-Machines. "Bummer"

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah sorry about that but we have to tell it like it is....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice