1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Public IPs on a LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by durrban, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. durrban

durrban Thread Starter

Hello,

Here's my situation: I have 5 public IP Addresses, 24.149.111.143, 145, 147, 149, & 150. I'm behind a gateway (linux + pfSense) which is connected to the internet and to a switch which goes to 4 servers. I'm currently using SNAT and Port Forwarding to translate the private IP addresses (192.168.1.0/24) to the public ones and vice versa but I've recently come upon a circumstance where I need to actually statically set these computers to their public IP address. So instead of having the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, i need a public subnet instead so I can set each computer to it's public IP. I know this is somehow possible but everytime I try it fails. I was just wondering how you guys would do this. What IP's would I set the gateway's interfaces to?

2. hermes

hermes

Ask your ISP for a separate external IP address and use the block of 5 inside your network. If you explain to them what you need they will usually allow this. All they do is add a route on their RADIUS server to your internal addresses via the external address. You will need to disable NAT. We have lots of customers who use this exact setup and some for the exact same reason as you. They will probably charge you though.

3. durrban

durrban Thread Starter

Great, I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks a lot Hermes!

4. hermes

hermes

Just remember to remove the port forwarding and get some access-lists in place to protect those inside hosts. Also, if this is a business setup you need to consider your mail MX records, as they will need to point to an internal address rather than be port forwarded.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice