1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sillygrav, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sillygrav

sillygrav Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fix this laptop for a friend of my dad. As the title of the thread says, when I try to connect to any wireless network, Network and Sharing Center shows the network to be Public and refuses to connect, displaying "Access: Local Only" Currently, my network is set up as ATT DSl --> modem --> router, which is then connected to my wired connection and broadcasts wirelessly.

AN IMPORTANT POINT:
    I have another computer running Windows 7 connected wirelessly and another running Windows 7 connected via wired connection. The Vista laptop connects to the internet perfectly when an ethernet cable is used, but a wireless connection results in the aforementioned error.

I've browsed through what seems like thousands of pages of people with the same problem but no one really seems to know what the cause is.

Here's all the stuff I've tried so far:

TCP/IP refresh/repair
    pinging sites = timeout
    uninstalling Norton
    uninstalling Mcafee (turns out they had them both installed)
    disabling UAC
    trying to connect to router homepage while wireless = failed
    DHCP disabling
    installing SP1/SP2/updates
    Windows network diagnostic = generic answers and no working solutions
    disabling firewall (windows generic)
    multiple system restores
    disabling IPv6
    making sure IP Addess and DNS are assigned automatically
    connecting to an unsecured network in the hopes that it might have just been my network
    booting Linux and wirelessly connecting to the router = working
    updated all device drivers (Atheros AR5700)

Don't know what else to do...

I'm currently writing this from the problematic computer which is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable and its working fine!! I can usually figure this stuff out pretty easily, but I'm totally stumped.

My suggestion to my dad's friend was "Downgrade to XP/upgrade to 7" but he doesn't want to spend money on upgrading a year-old laptop and can't afford to buy a new one

If you need any screen caps or ping results or anything please let me know, I'll get them ASAP

Oh yeah, running VISTA HOME PREMIUM (SERVICE PACK 2) 32 bit on a Compaq C700 Notebook PC.

Thanks again

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    moved to networking forum

I think the problem will be the Adapter
    Can you confirm it is 5700 and NOT 5007

assuming its a AR5700
    did you use the Norton removal and the mcafee removal tools - sometimes they need to be run twice and rebooted - if not details are below

Did that work ? have you tried removing the security on yor router and connecting, you do not know if the unsecure networks have AMC filtering on

Tend to prove its a windows issue

NOW assuming its a AR5007 - see details below
    also try a tcp/ip reset - not sure if this is what you have carried out

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Post back the results here - we need to know these commands worked correctly
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Mcafee RemovalTool
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
    http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Norton Removal Tool
    http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Atheros AR5007EG & AR5007
    We have recently been seeing a whole lot of problems with that adapter over the last couple months, especially with WPA(2) encryption and windows Vista.

The adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK. - Post back here if that does work or not.

In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver." That apparently has worked for some posters. If not, download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section.

You can post the Make and EXACT model of PC here, along with the windows version you have and we can find the driver and post a link here.

On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

Assuming that also does not work all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.
    You might also bug your laptop's tech support about the problem--maybe people can put pressure on Atheros to find a fix.

3. sillygrav

sillygrav Thread Starter

Thanks so much Etaf, after reading your replies on other posts I was hoping you'd reply to mine!

Sorry about that, you're right. It's an AR 5007. It's almost 5 in the morning over here so I'm a bit out of it..

Yup, I ran them both twice - just in case - and still nothing.

That didn't work. Same local access only message showed up

That's what I meant by refresh. Would you like me to try again and paste the resulting log files?

I looked into what you said about the AR5007 not liking WPA2 so I disabled it and it worked perfectly. Then I changed it to WEP and still working. Tried it with WPA and yup, no connection. So the problem is with the Atheros driver then? Just for my own knowledge, why would the portable Linux work then? Does it have a different set of drivers for the same hardware?

Device Manager is telling me my drivers are up to date but I'm searching manually too. In regards to computer specs:

Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC
    32 - bit OS
    Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
    Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi Adapter (currently at driver version 7.3.201.25 and dated 5/30/2007)

Thanks so much, you're a lifesaver!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yes, and so the manufacturer needs to update the driver to work ....

thanks for the info

5. sillygrav

sillygrav Thread Starter

Alright, updated and I'm good to go.
    Funny thing is, my first step was checking the drivers but I had been clicking the wrong link on the site that I just downloaded them from... Would have saved myself SO much time haha

Thanks etaf

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Did you update driver and now you are working with WPA (2) - if so can we have some details please

7. sillygrav

sillygrav Thread Starter

Oh, sorry about that.

I downloaded the newest driver from http://www.atheros.cz/ then ran a manual driver update from the device manager and within 45 seconds the network switched from local access only to local and internet.

8. sillygrav

sillygrav Thread Starter

The laptop now works with no security, WEP, WPA, and WPA2

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!