1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Push files remotely over domain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CPQC, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

I work in a building at my college and need to push a file to a computer without remoting into it. The file is on a shared drive (S:/public/map_home_drive.vbs) and the computer that I am trying to send it to is named chp107406. The domain is CENTRAL, or central.cmich.local. I was told that I might be able to do it through cmd. Any help?

2. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

3. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

I should say that eventually I will need to transfer this file to about 20 classroom computers.

4. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

Thank you for the website, i'll check it out.

5. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

Ah I still need help. A little walkthrough on how ftp works and how I should order the commands would be sweet. Thanks.

6. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

ok so here's where I am now...

copy C:\Map_home_drive.vbs \\chp113873\c$\

I can copy the file over to up until this point, but i need to get it into the computer's all user's desktop. the path is C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop

But this doesn't work. It gives me a syntax error when i type

copy C:\Map_home_drive.vbs \\chp113873\c$\documents and settings\all users\desktop

Any help on this one?

7. avisitor

avisitor

You probably need quotes around the last one, but I'd suggest mounting the drive first then pushing it out.

8. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

Thanks man. I'll give it a try at work tomorrow.

9. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

Now i just need to copy it to c$ and no further than that. But now i want to copy it to about 18 computers with one command line. Can i separate the computer names and destinations by a comma or something? (ex. \\chp120555\c$, \\chp120556\c$, etc)

Thanks.

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you can type the Computer names into a file, one per line, the following batch file will push it to all the PC's
    C:\PCNames.txt will look like this:
    Code:
    chp120555
    chp120556
    chp113873
    and so forth
    Code:
    Set _SFile=map_home_drive.vbs
    Set _SPath=S:\public\
    Set _Dest=c$
    For /F "tokens=*" %%I in (C:\PCNames.txt) Do If NOT Exist "\\%%I\%_Dest%\%_SFile%" XCopy /CIK "%_Spath%\%_Sfile%" "\\%%I\%_Dest%\"
    _Sfile is the file name
    _SPath is the path to the file, either the Shared drive, or a local copy
    _Dest is where it needs to go. You can make this c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop if needed

If you are on a Domain, and your users log out each day, seems it would be easier to just add one line to the login script:
    Code:
    If NOT Exist c:\map_home_drive.vbs xcopy /CIK \\Server\public\map_home_drive.vbs c:\
    Next day when someone logs into a PC, the file will be copied if it hasn't already been done.

HTH

Jerry

11. CPQC

CPQC Thread Starter

Thanks man. That's pretty much exactly what I need. You are my hero.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

Jerry

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice