1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) qttask icon

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by baileycats, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baileycats

baileycats Thread Starter

Hello! Hope you can help. My sister e-mailed me some pictures that I used "Quick Time" to view. After I looked at the pictures, I went through the uninstall process from the desktop. But now I still have an icon - qttask - that I cannot remove. When I try to delete it I receive a message that says "Cannot delete:access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use". If I uninstalled Quick Time, how can it be in use? Can you help me get this off my computer? Thanks for your help. Oh, I'm running Windows XP. Thanks again.

2. pvc9

pvc9

Remove qttask from Startup, then delete the file.

To remove from Startup -

Start->Run->msconfig [enter]

Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the entry related to qttask/Quick Time, click on Appy, Ok.

Where is the qttask icon/file located? Desktop?

3. baileycats

I followed the steps to remove qttask from startup and restarted my computer, and I'm not sure if it worked or not. The icon is still there. On my desktop.

4. pvc9

pvc9

Did you try deleting the file after removing it from Startup?

If that doesnt help, create an empty folder on the Desktop, move the qttask file to that folder, delete the entire folder.

5. carp

carp

I believe qqtask.exe is located in c:\windows\system. When I removed it from my startup list it reappeared. I have since permanently deleted it from the above directory without problem.

6. baileycats

pvc9:
    Moving the icon to a new folder worked! Simple solution to an aggravating problem! Thanks!

carp:
    If I delete everything associated with Quick Time, will it affect any of my other operating systems? When I tried to open one of the folders, I got a message saying "these files are used by the operating systemby various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system".

Thanks.
    :confused:

7. pvc9

pvc9

baileycats,
    You're most welcome :)

8. carp

carp

If you no longer want quicktime, and have uninstalled the program, I would simply delete qqtask.exe from c:\windows\system (if you see it there) and leave all other files alone. Btw, apple.com has help articles re: quicktime. I hope this helps.

9. pvc9

pvc9

Hi carp,
    No offense, but just wanted to tell you that the filename is qttask.exe and not qqtask.exe

BTW,

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

10. baileycats

I deleted the file in question. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Just want to let you folks know that I LOVE this website! It has helped me tremendously with different problems that I've had. Keep up the good work! I'm sending the link to my husband. :D :D :D :D

11. pvc9

pvc9

[tsg=yourewelcome][/tsg]

TSG is certainly one of the best sites on the net!!! :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice