1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quad Core really worth it for gaming?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pickelsaretasty, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pickelsaretasty

pickelsaretasty Thread Starter

Hi, I'm looking at building a new gaming PC.
    I'm trying to stay under $900 and only need:
    1. A SLI mobo - preferably ASUS P5W, maybe looking into NForce 680i.
    2. A CPU - currently looking at Q6600 but I might go with a duo
    3. RAM - 2 GB minimum, (wanted to go DDR 3 compatible, but looks too expensive )
    4. 1 Graphics card.

My First question is, I've been reading alot of reviews and such and most say that quad core really doesn't do much, because most programs are not designed to take advantage of it yet.
    Also, I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the setup I'm looking at building. Links to sites are welcome (as long as they don't somehow break the forum rules)

Something I pulled from wikipedia:
    "Single or dual-threaded applications alone, including many games, do not benefit from the second pair of cores of a quad-core CPU over an equally clocked dual-core CPU. For example, the quad-core Extreme QX6700 (Kentsfield) did not process those applications faster than the older dual-core Extreme X6800 (Conroe XE core), because its FSB's speed was the same, and it was clocked slightly slower. Nevertheless, a simultaneous running of several processor-intensive single/dual-threaded applications on the quad-core CPU is generally much faster than on equally clocked dual-core CPU. The quad-core CPU is useful also to run both the client and server processes of a game without noticeable lag in either thread, since each instance (up to four) could be running on a different core. Furthermore, multi-threaded games (see Crysis and Gears of War) benefit from the quad-core CPUs[30], because — as Cervat Yerli of Crytek said — four cores will make for better frame rates and gameplay since audio, physics and AI and other things are all offloaded to separate cores."

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. dannyn

dannyn

ive heard that for now they have a little bit of problems getting all cores to work with games and it turns out just working as a duo core...
    but if you want to be future proof
    have the money
    and want have to quad core... go for it.

3. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

4. Schizofrantic

Schizofrantic

Crysis will utilize all cores of a processor, so quad core does give a benefit in this game, and probably others based off the same model as well.

5. strongbad8500

strongbad8500

If you have the money to buy a quad core do it because more games down the line im sure will make use of them

6. Compiler

Compiler

when you're on a budget - you're going to need to be extra special with your parts. Those with money to blow - can easily sink $3000 for a gaming rig that is about 10% faster a budget built $1000 PC (minus SLI) SLI takes a lot of money to build.. they typically add $200 to the cost for basics.

With what you have selected $280 for CPU + $175 for mobo = $455, leaving 450 left for case, RAM, video card. Let's say you go with the 8800GT ($275) = $730, + $50 for 2GB = $780. leaves you $120 for DVD, HD, case... a good PSU will cost you $80... if you want SLI/CF ability, then such a PSU will cost you $150.

With $40 left, you're maxed out.

Look at this: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=921&model2=877&chart=424

The AMD6000 = $160 vs $240 for a C2D. A non SLI board is about $100 and supports PCIe 2.0 and quad core CPUs. With this setup, you gain back $200 into your budget... for buying case, drives and OS.

7. pickelsaretasty

All of the reply's were very helpful. I wish I just would've checked back here before buying. I found this system on Ebay, but by building it through New Egg, I saved (about $250)
    I ended up building a full system through new egg for $900 which included:

1. 4 GB - 2x2 kingston Ram (I guess kingston is okay, not as good as cosair)

2. ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard (Not going SLI saved big, thanks)

3. EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (This card makes me drool, they already have the next one lined up to come out in February and its Twice as good as this one)

4. Rosewill Stallion Series RD600N-2DB-SL-BK ATX Form Factor 12V V2.2 / SSI standard EPS 12V 600W Active PFC Power Supply - SLI Ready - Retail (never heard of Rosewill?? I hope they are good for power supply's)

5. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

6. Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail (I know that for the $$ AMD's are better, but what I use the PC for I need an Intel)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Rosewell is newegg's house brand. IE: generally junk.

For PSUs: Antec, FSP, Sparkle, Thermaltake, Corsair, Enermax, OCZ, PC P&C are pretty much the most trusted brands... not all are great. but stick to the $70+ price range for 450+watt PSUs.

9. pickelsaretasty

Yes, I actually was reading the reviews on the Power Supply and it seemed that it blew out on most people after 24 hours of use. I'm just going to use my old P4 Thermaltake Purepower 450W, hopefully it will be enough to power the 8800gt, 3 hd's, dvd burner..etc?

Thanks for the heads up.

10. Compiler

Compiler

If your own P4 PSU has the proper 24pin motherboard connector, then it should hold you for a while.

You can return the psu for credit...

11. pickelsaretasty

My Thermaltake only had a 20pin connector...so I'll have to get a new one.
    what do you think about the Ultra X2 750watt? I found it cheap on tigerdirect.

12. dannyn

dannyn

it dosent look all that bad..but i would go with a major manufacture... but its up to you

13. Compiler

Compiler

I wouldn't touch an Ultra... same with raidmax, turbo, etc... The ONLY PSUs I'd touch are the ones I have listed.

$70 gets you a 500watt Thermaltake with A-PFC. go to newegg.com

14. pickelsaretasty

Okay Thanks!!
    I decided to go with a thermaltake 600w w0103, found one under $70

15. pickelsaretasty

Well nevermind. I read that this power supply doesn't last over a month for some users and for everyone it runs pretty hot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!