1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quad Core upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nine2lou, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

Looking for advice on maximizing my processor. I have an Asus P5E mother board with an Intel quad core Q6600 2.4GHZ. I want to get the most out of this mother board and would like advice on upgrading. It has a LGA 775 socket. I may also consider upgrading the video card as well. Currently I have an ATI Radeon HD3800 with 512 mb. Expert advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Lou

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  3. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

Great reference reply. Thanks. looks like the quad Q9650 will be my best bet.
    Thanks,
    Lou

4. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

I am editing HD video and I'm getting a little bit of video jumping frames. would this be more my video card or the processor?
    Thanks

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is it running Windows XP or Vista or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Is it maxed out with 8 GB of RAM?

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you already have the cpu, then fine other wise the cheapest I found that cpu was $312 going up to approx $360. That is a LOT of money to spend on obsolete tech.

For just a few $ more, you can get a modern mb, cpu and ram. Up to you. I just checked the egg and for about the same price as a 9650, you can get a new socket 1155 mb and ivy bridge cpu. Add about $40 or so for ram and you are done.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

7. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

Sorry for the late response. Was away for a bit. Looks like if I may be looking at building from scratch or just swapping components to new updated components. I am maxed out at 8mb of ram. and running vista ultimate 64. If I change the mobo and processor as recommended by crjdriver, can I keep my existing ram? And how about a decent video card for editing HD video? I have an asus mid case that works fine with a Corsair vx450w power supply.
    Thanks,
    Lou

8. replay

replay

the new motherboard will require ddr3 memory, u have ddr2
    also if u purchase a power hungry video card u may have to upgrade the power supply

9. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I may just use this pc at work and build from scratch. Got 5 years out of it. Cant complain.

10. nine2lou

nine2lou Thread Starter

Last question. Would just changing out my video card give me better performance on HD video editing? I'm not a gamer.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Video editing is cpu intensive; not video card intensive. The fastest cpu and ram have the most effect on video editing.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!