1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: quality of printed pictures...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by sooloo, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

I am so hoping someone knows the answer to this very perplexing problem... I thought it was my printer so I bought a new one and I have the same problem. I print a picture of my granddaughter, who has these wonderful chubby cheeks.........until it is printed and the chubby cheeks are gone. She has slimmed right down...... lol I have been struggling with this problem for quite a while now, have asked everyone who comes within two feet of me and no ones knows how to fix this or what is even causing it. I know someone here will know. I have never had a problem that this site has not been able to fix for me. : ) Thanks, in advance.

Oh yes, and new printer is an Epson 835 al-in-one and my old one is an HP photosmart 2575

2. Sponsor

3. moper

moper

First, to get a decent quality print, you should have between 200-300 Pixels per inch of print. What is the size of the photo.(in pixels)

Another reason is, if your photo has dimensions that are dfferent from the print you are making, something has to give. What size are you trying to print? Either the printer crops off the edges, or squeezes one dimension down to fit the print size. Your print dialog box should have an option to "maintain the aspect ratio". See attachment, where Irfanview allows you to check or unckeck Aspect Ratio. Your printer software should have something similar.

What I always do is first crop the photo to be the exact dimensions that you want your print to be.
    Note that a 4x6 has different proportions than an 8x10. The first is a 2 to 3 ratio and the latter is a 4 to 5 ratio. Then, the printer doesn't have to crop or squeeze one dimension.

moper

Attached Files:

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I don't understand how a print could be a slimmer picture .. (unless I misunderstand your explanation) ...
    Unless you aren't seeing it right on your monitor.

So .. A question ..
    Does This Picture look Round and Square on your Monitor ??

5. Peano

Peano Banned

Two questions:

1. What are the pixel dimensions of the image when you view it in Photoshop or whatever editor/viewer you use, before you do any editing or sizing for print? (Example: 2000 x 3008 px)
    2. What are the print dimensions you're turning out? (Example: 8 x 10 in., 4 x 6 in., etc.)

6. wowzer

wowzer

the problem is obviously in the setup. "chubby cheeks" don't disappear/change for no good reason.

hopefully the OP will return with some answers.

7. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

Thank you all and I will check all you have told me and see if I can learn something and fix it all at the same time. lol If not I will be back with answers to your questions about sizes and pixels. Either way I will be back. : ) Susan:)

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

I wonder if the computer monitor is displayed stretched.
    I have older relatives who do that.

Verify.

9. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

10. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

Moper, grrrr. I hate this.... I am attempting to print 4 x 6 on Picasa, says it is 1909 x 1495 pixcels. I tried it on Photo shop and the picture still came out out of proportion. Pictures actually. I tried a couple. I just got this printer (had the same problem on my old one, so it is not the printer I guess). I am not sure how to find the pixcels on this printer. Epson Artisan 835. This is so frustrating.... I can and will read the manual on the printer, but I am sure it is not the problem. Well I am not really sure of anything right now. I have been printing pictures for years and have never had this problem before...........Thanks for your patients.....Susan

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

1909 x 1495 pixels is not a 4 x 6 inch ratio ??

Does This Picture look Round and Square on your Monitor ??

Attached Files:

12. moper

moper

Also, 1909x1494 is an odd size, indicating the photo was in some way cropped and rotated. Could you detail what editing was done to the photo. Also, do you still have the original?

moper

13. wowzer

wowzer

Just my opinion of course but... sooloo needs to answer some of the questions already asked and provide some meaningful info, possibly a screenshot of the setup diag box to really get any direct answers. (trying to print and it comes out distorted) just doesn't do the trick.

mopers' original post would reveal alot but, we don't even know if it's been tried.

14. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

no it is not round and square it is wider and shorter than a circle and a square. I will try to find the original...

15. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It probably measures 20% wider .. I'm assuming you have a wide screen monitor.
    Your display settings are wrong .. The file is OK .. You're just seeing it wrong.
    This may not be a total answer to your question .. But it needs to be fixed

16. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

I could give you a screen shot if I know how. All my pictures came from my camera and i have cropped some not others and they all come out making people long and thin...........I dunno........I found the original on Picasa, printed it and it is exactly the same as the cropped one. The pictures are not exactly the same as the pic. on the monitor.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!