1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ques about diskpart>list

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jdbic, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8191 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953516 MB, Free - 656043 MB; E: Total - 1430795 MB, Free - 1423544 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, 760GMA-P34(FX) (MS-7641)
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

When I type diskpart>list in I get three disks -0,1,2 . Do these correspond to the drive letters in windows explorer? If they do , how do I know witch number goes with witch letter?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The answer is that diskpart and many other tools = list disks as the system itself does
    disk 0, 1, 2 etc
    allocated letters are simply given to partitions on a disk
    so C is allocated to the operating system partition normally on disk 0

be careful with diskpart on 8.1
    you can very easily ruin the system beyond loading windows - if you do not fully understand the UEFI boot process as some partitions for instance the FAT partition from which windows 8.1 takes control after UEFI hands it over is not lettered
    and a mistake is very easy - if you are using diskpart to attempt to solve a problem

disk management will show you the same NUMBERED disks with the partitions

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

Yes, so if you select 0 and then use LIST PARTITIONS it will return all the partitions on that disk

Realistically you should first go to the Disk Management snapin and write down your current configuration
    How many physical disks, which partitions on each and the letter and size associated with each, so when you use diskpart you will be able to tell what you are dealing with.

4. Macboatmaster

Indeed I agree

but thinking you have a problem, to be using diskpart PLEASE heed my warning

5. valis

valis Moderator

seconded and carried.

6. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

I'm trying to make a Bootable Windows To Go USB Stick. Following the directions when I get to this point diskpart>list disk
    diskpart>select disk n (make sure replacing n with the number shown from the last step) if the last part is what list disk is that's where the letter/number ques comes into play. I tried but copy and paste didn't work in command prompt.

7. Macboatmaster

it will
    right click the top bar
    click edit click select all
    the cmd window wil turn white right click the top bar again
    click edit again and then copy
    then paste here

please send where you found these instructions

8. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Reading CleaverX's reply about the disk managing and writing things down made me think. I took the usb stick out ,re did the diskpart . Now the number that is gone is the usb drive . So now I can continue. Thanks for the help.

9. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

10. Macboatmaster

Okay - good luck with it, still cannot work out what you trying to do with a usb windows to go and diskpart and windows to go is part of the enterprise edition and the suggestions available to use it for other editions are IMHO not a wise procedure

11. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Well I changed the mother board in another computer in the house. Nothing comes up on screen it has no optical drive , I have 8.1 so I figured I could boot from usb too find out the bugs

12. Macboatmaster

I cannot that see that standing a chance of working - my guess is badly made or missed connection for CPU power or graphics if a card or motherboard ground error

integrated graphics or a card

13. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

The mother board is gigabyte GA-F2A58M-DS2

14. Macboatmaster

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4989#sp

integrated - it does not really matter what make and model the board is the same general principles apply
    if a motherboard assembly will not produce a post screen, then it is either usually a hardware error eg processor, PSU or graphics card - to eliminate the last if there is one use the integrated

OR it is an assembly error as previously described

15. jdbic

jdbic Thread Starter

Ok the usb didn't work. You were correct. So , I should get something on the screen. But I don't. When I turn on the computer the cpu fan works, I can hear the hard drive spin. The on board graphics is what should be in use, I did not add a graphics card. Could not enough power make there be nothing on the screen ? I'll have to check all the connections again while looking at the manual.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice