Solved: Question about 1386 folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

palmas85

I have a Dell notebook that is several years old. It has a total of about 7gb total space. It has about 600mb of free space left on it. It has no CD drive and I am assuming that XP came installed on the system itself as it has no port for external CD usage. The 1386 Folder has around 700 mb included in it. Could this file safely be moved to an external hard drive and moved back if needed? Moving it would certainly free up a good bit of space on my C drive. I have read and heard conflicting answers on this question and I hope that soemone can give me some sound advice. Thanks for any help on this one.

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
I think it would be more prudent to examine the programmes installed on your computer and uninstall those that are not necessary. I have a relatively recent fresh install of XP and its folder is 2.5 GB that leaves a lot of used space on your computer unaccounted for. The i386 folder are the installation files for the XP installation. They are needed if you are adding components to the OS. I would not move it.

Go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and review what is installed on your computer. Also check the My Documents folder and see how many files are stored there. Also do a complete system clean (cookies, Recycle Bin, Temp Internet Files, etc.). If they are large you can reduce the recycle bin and TIF cache sizes. The recycle bin will allocate 10% of the drive for its use.

Edit: By the way, for future reference and in case you try searches, the folder is i386, not 1386. :)

palmas85

I ve already removed every program that I think is not necessary. I have already cleaned out just about everything else I can think of besides that, temp files etc. The My Documents folder doesn't have hardly anything in it at all except for several empty folders. Every other folder seems to be related to the actual operation of the computer or if they are not I m not sure what they are there for. There are two folders that appear to be service pack installations. They appear to be 1 and 2, but I am not 100% positive on that. They are both fairly large. I am unsure how to reduce the size of the Recycle Bin, but that could be a possibility if it allocates 10% of the drive.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties. Move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore(tab). Move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Go into the C:\WINDOWS folder. Delete all the $- - - -$ folders that are highlighted in blue.

Empty the recycle bin and then restart.

---------------------------------------------------------------

palmas85

I resized the recycle bin and the TF Folder. The amount of space gained was around 160 mb total. That puts me at around 780 mb free space. I have noticed though that a lot of the files that are in the i 386 file are also on the C drive itself as independent folders and files. In fact it almost seems as if the i386 file is a duplicate of other files already on the computer because the disc space taken up by both add up to approximately the same, which is right at about 6gb, and almost every file if not all of the files are either independently on the C drive , or in the program files or windows folders. It is the first time I have ever seen anything quite like it..

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
Since your drive is relatively small I would suggest doing properties on such folders as My Documents, Program files, Windows, etc, and seeing if there are any anomalies. For example, my Windows folder (with SP3), is 2.5 gig along with another 2.5 for my program files and I have a fresh install with very few programs installed. That's already 5 gig so I think that maybe your drive is just maxed out. Where exactly are the 2 i386 folders? Mine is in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles. I see no need for two of them but even deleting one won't gain you much space.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the model name and model number of that Dell laptop?

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

If it came with a puny 7 GB hard drive, I doubt if it came with Windows XP pre-installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
What's the model name and model number of that Dell laptop?

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

If it came with a puny 7 GB hard drive, I doubt if it came with Windows XP pre-installed.

Good call flavallee. A hard drive that small would put it back at least to W2K or even W98se. It could be at least 10 years old. OEM computers usually have a small sticker on it indicating what version of Windows was originally installed on it. Does it have such a sticker? Something like this?

SUEOHIO

SUE
i agree with if the drive is that small windows 98 or 2000 was installed in it. trying to run xp will be as slow as molasses.can it be installed maybe. will it run right? doubtful.it sounds like an old dell netbook if it doesnt even have a cd drive.to run windows xp u should have at the minimum a 40 g harddrive and at least 256-512 of ram.if u really want to run xp on this older computer getting a bigger hard drive and more ram would be the way to go if u dont want to get a newer computer.hope this helps.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's why I asked for the model name and model number and service tag number - to confirm the exact description and if it's a laptop or a netbook. I've heard that some netbooks come with a very low-capacity hard drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------

palmas85

It is a Dell Inspiron 910 and it does have a windows sticker that indicates it came loaded with XP..It runs fairly well, not slow at all and seems to be in pretty good shape overall.. I used Ccleaner and freed up a little more than half a gb of space,

As a side note, the screen on this thing is really small, so I attached it to an external monitor. It will boot up using the external monitor as the primary and then revert to the computer as the promary. I actually had it working for sometime using the external as the primary, but had to unplug the monitor.After that I am unable to establish the external as the primary for more than a few seconds at boot up.Nothing that I do will make the change of monitor priorities stick. Any ideas on that issue?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm guessing at this point that it's a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (910) netbook.

If it is, it comes with a 8.9" screen, 8.0 GB hard drive, and Windows XP Home Edition.

What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker that I previously asked for?

------------------------------------------------------------------

palmas85

Where can I find the service tag number? Hate to show my ignorance but.I am unfamiliar with that.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The purpose of the service tag number is to confirm the description of your netbook(?) and to see what components came in it.

It will be on a sticker on the case and will be a combination of 7 letters and numbers.

SUEOHIO

SUE
since its a laptop/netbook like i suspected and not a tower the service tag will be underneath on the bottom of the laptop and will also have an express service code with it.im truly amazed that it came with windows xp because xp by itself uses 5 gs of hard drive space.which doesnt leave much else left for any programs, drivers, etc.hope this helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online