1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about 939 Socket MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halcour, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcour

halcour Thread Starter

I have an ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 mb. Looking at the Athlon 64 x2 processors that are listed at pricewatch.com, there is an "Athlon 64 x2 4600 939" listed and after that all the higher 64 x2 processors are listed as "am2". I take it an "am2" will not go into my 939 socket mb? And if so, is the 4600 the last 939 socket processor AMD will make?

Thanks,
    Harold

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats right, AM2 and 939 are incompatible.

The fastest socket 939 processor is the FX-60, but there's also the X2 4800+. Thats about as good as it'll get.

See here how they fare in this interactive CPU chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=476&model2=475&chart=171
    And easy way to figure one which ones are 939 are to look at the memory type, if its DDR then its 939 as the AM2's use DDRII.

3. halcour

halcour Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. The 4800 looks plenty fast and is only $248 at Newegg, while the F60 costs twice as much. The 4800 should do me for a while!

Harold

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice