1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about connecting power supply to video card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Santana, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Santana

Santana Thread Starter

I have a OCZ 500W power supply, but it doesn't have the 6-pin connector my ATI 5750 needs. Alright, so I have the splitter included with my card that splits the 6-pin into 2 Molex plugs. I'm pretty sure I need both of those plugged in, but I'm unsure of the orientation of the wires. I took a picture of how I *think* it should be set up:

[​IMG]

So you can see the longer end will connect to my PSU with the 6-pin, and the shorter end, also with the 6-pin, will connect to my GPU. My question is if the end coming from the PSU is right. The cable coming from the PSU end doesn't actually "split" into 2 Molex plugs. It goes to one Molex, then continues to another Molex, and then continues to a plug, that I can't identify.

I'm assuming this is right because my PSU is "SLI Ready", and it has two of the cables you see in the picture (the longer one), meaning one for each card. Sorry if this is confusing, but I really don't want to damage anything :confused:

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I can answer the plug you don't recognize part for you. It is a Floppy drive Power Plug. Did your PSU come with a manual?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The connectoin to the PSU shown in the picture isn't what the manufacturer had in mind. Because you are connecting the Y-adapter to two 4-pin connectors that are chained together, you are pulling double the power through the PSU wires than what was intended (though it may work).

A better solution would be to use two 4-wire connectors from the PSU that are not chained together like in your picture. Note that you could use two cables like the one in your picture and use the 4-pin connector closest to the PSU on each, and leave the others disconnected.

4. Santana

Santana Thread Starter

It did, but it's horrifically vague. Thanks for answering the unknown plug, though :D

Hm, I'm nervous to try either of these options, although I think your second suggestion is quite safe. I'm going to go look around through some stuff and see if I can scrounge up a 6-pin cable somewhere first, before I attempt to use the Molex connectors.

EDIT: Found a 6-pin cable that connects to my PSU. Solved!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice