1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: question about cpu temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foler59, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Hi, I got an Intel core 2 quad Q6600 at 2,40GHz and a zalman 9500 air cooler installed using coolaboratory liquid pro as a thermal paste. Measuring the CPU temperature, I noticed that when ripping/encoding a movie using DVD shrink (the processor was working at above 80% of it's total processig power) the temperature got to 55 degrees C (measured through a mobo program utility) and I really think this is quite high, isn't it? I searched google for the "normal" temperatures of this CPU, it seems that mine is at the "cooler" side of the road. I just wanted to ask for your opinion since I have to make sure that my thermal paste application was correct (this thing is quite different than the usual pastes).

BTW, the motherboard utility that I launch after windows boots up shows lower temperature than what I see when I enter the BIOS\PC health settings. Is it possible that when entering BIOS the temperature goes indeed 5 degrees higher?! Or is one of those readings wrong?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is normal to have the cpu temp cooler under windows than in the bios. The reason is you have eist [enhanced intel speed step] it lowers vcore and multiplier on a dynamic basis according to load. While that temp is somewhat high, it is still within specs. As to your thermal compound, I know nothing about it. I use either the stock intel hsf or when using a third party hsf, I use Arctic Silver compound.

One thing that affects cpu temp is case airflow. Open the side cover on the case and see how the full load temp is now. If it is more than 5C lower, you need better case airflow.

3. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Well, the thermal paste used is a new product, that got some really good reviews (it beats AS 5 in many tests). I don't think I have eist turned on, but I'm going to check this when I get back home (what if it's turned off, then why could the 2 readings be different?). Case airflow shouldn't be a problem with 2x120mm fans, and little cable clutter.

So 55 degrees under full load for a quad core can be considered high? I saw other people saying that they were getting over 60 degrees C at load! For example check this:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-core-...z-1066mhz-fsb-8mb-l2/q/loc/101/203829458.html

The temperature under the specifications, reads 62.2 degrees C!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just having fans does not mean all that much. Do the test with the side cover open. That will tell you if you need a better case/better case cooling.
    EIST is usually on by default in the bios unless you disabled the setting, it should be on.

As I said, it is a little high however within specs. I have built a few quad core systems for people and they usually run around 35C under light load up to around 50C or so under full load. Note this is with the stock intel cooler and a quality case.

One other thing, is this system overclocked at all?

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Chassis thermal design is a component often overlooked by builders.

Attached is a drawing of what I personally look for in chassis design for my builds. One of the items most overlooked or ignored is the chassis processor air duct/air guide. Many times I have seen the processor temperature lowered 3-5C just by having a air guide and adjusting the guide so that it is 1/4"-3/8" from the processor cooler fan.

Here is a link to a short Intel video regarding the processor air duct;

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-008537.htm

The important item to remember about a processor air duct is the fact that the ambient room temperature will always be lower than the internal chassis temperature, therefore better cooling for the processor.

Attached Files:

• TAC.gif
      TAC.gif
      File size:
      46.7 KB
      Views:
  6. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

If I were to overclock my Q6600 at 3.2GHz with a Zalman 9500 cooler would the processor get fried?

7. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Enfo Toad, the Q6600 is quite overclockable, and I've heard people who have got over 3.0GHz with a stable performance, so it would be possible to do what you're saying even with air cooling.

Now about my original issue, I've taken out the CPU and reapplied the thermal compound, now using a little bit more and not following their instructions to the letter (which required using only very little, and then waiting about 2 days before putting the system back together). I also noticed that when putting 100% load on only one core (so 25% total on the CPU) I get different temperatures for each core, that maybe quite distant. Anyway here are my new temperature tests:
    (Case closed)
    Room temperature: around 21 degrees C

CPU load 1%: 27-29 degrees C (settled down)
    CPU load 25%: 31, 31, 38,38 (on each core)
    CPU load 100%: 50 degrees settled for 10 minutes!

I don't have the text file where I wrote those down right now, maybe I'll repost the test more elaborately later!
    Now:
    1) Where is the thermometer of the CPU located? Is it because of its location that different 25% loads yield different temperatures? Can I measure individual core temps?

8. DaChew

DaChew

you need to know the stepping of your quad to determine the temperature range

coretemp and a few other apps are the only preferred temperature monitors

9. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Here are my results, measured with my MB's utility, which is not too accurate but anyway:

OLD temperatures:
    Room temperature (20.7 degrees C), Case open:
    1% ---- 27-28-29 degrees C settled.
    25% ---- 50 degrees C settled. (each core yielded a different temp, but I didn't know that at that time so I didn't count each core's temp at 100% load)
    50% ---- 56-57 degrees C settled.
    75% ---- 63-64 degrees (didn't leave it for too long!)

NEW:
    Case open:
    Room temperature (22.4 degrees C)
    1% ---- 26 degrees C settled.
    100% ---- 45-46 degrees C settled! (10 minutes)
    25% ---- 37, 37, 30-31, 31 degrees C
    Case Closed:
    Room Temperature (20.8 degrees C)
    1% ---- (27)-28 degrees C settled
    100% ---- Around 50 degrees

I installed CoreTemp and it shows my cores' temperatures a bit higher than what I get with my MB's utility, but not much higher (for example some cores rise up to 55 degrees C at 100% CPU load). This is the additional info it displays:
    CPUID: 0x6FB
    APICID: 0
    Revision: G0
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield)

Do you think my temps are OK now? I am quite satisfied!

10. DaChew

DaChew

this is the G stepping showing you have the redesigned core with better heat resistance

the original B stepping was 62-65 redline

your is 72-75

redline, think tachometer and your engine blowing

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

50C with a Q6600 with G0 stepping is just fine. The thermal specs for that processor is 71C. If you did encounter some type of cooling failure THERMALTRIP would occur at approximately 20C above Tc i.e around 90-91C and the processor would shut down.

12. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

My "system temperature" is still quite high though, around 35-37C at idle.. Should I take the MB out again and maybe reapply a better thermal compound on the chipset?

What can I do to lower my CPU temp even more?

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

You stated you had two 120mm chassis fans. What are the other chassis attributes, do you have a side air vent and a processor airguide?

110f is generally considered to be the critical point on internal chassis temperature.
    If you are worried about monitoring the internal chassis temperature, install one of these units.

https://shop.pcpower.com/accessories/110-alert-heat-alarm.html

14. foler59

foler59 Thread Starter

Well, I got no other attributes that could be aiding cooling with my case. Actually my case has noise insulation inside which probably makes things a little bit worse.

However when my monitoring program says "system temperature", I think it means the chipset temperature and not the chassis temp. The chipset is cooled passively (no fan system attached, just a big copper heatsink), and that's probably the reason, but the inside air temperature doesn't seem too hot, so it should be cooling it. Maybe I should take it out and reapply some better thermal material to help things out?

15. Yuuuu

Yuuuu

which monitoring program are you using? and so your heatsink doesnt have a fan on it? =O

still think your temp is pretty good. mine can idle at around 55deg sometimes. and with room temp at about 30-32deg here.. not much for air cooling to do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice