1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about DVD-Video conversion

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tomdkat, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I need to convert an non-copy protected DVD-Video disc to a movie format that can be posted on a website. I found a tutorial on converting from DVD-Video to WMV on videohelp.com and was able to get a WMV file created but I get no video when I play it back in Windows Media Player and when I play it back in VideoLan VLC player I get video but it's pixelated and it pauses every few frames.

So, my questions are:
    • What would be the best web format for the conversion?
    • What would be the best tool(s) to use for the conversion?
    Thanks!

Peace...

2. tomdkat

I'm still working on this project and decided to try another route. I purchased Nero 8 Ultimate Edition and used the Recode feature to convert the DVD-Video disc to a MPEG-4 video file. The conversion took about two hours but when it completed I had a video file that played far more reliably than the WMV file I created previously.

Now that I have this MPEG-4 file, I transferred it to another machine to test how it would play back and in QuickTime Player 7.4.5 the video plays and I can hear the audio but they are out of sync. The audio is slightly ahead of the video. When I play the same clip in VideoLan VLC player 0.8.6f, the audio and video are in sync and everything looks good.

According to VLC player, here are the A/V specs of the video file I created:

video:
    code: avc1
    resolution: 720x480
    frame rate: 29.97

audio:
    codec: mp4a
    channels: 2
    sample rate: 48000 Hz
    bits per sample: 16
    bitrate: 1536 kb/s

The video is about 27 minutes long. Any idea as to why it would have sync issues in QuickTime player and not in VideoLan VLC player?

Thanks!

Peace...

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It would be hard to tell. Is there a reason why it has to play in Quicktime?

I probably would have went with Xvid rather than Nero's mpeg4 conversion. It's somewhat propriatary which may account for the problem. On your other machine you might not have the proper codec installed. VLC doesn't rely on any installed codecs.

As a test you can try this free app and do an Xvid to see if you fare better. Leave everything at default, except set the audio to 128 and choose your output size.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1018336

4. tomdkat

It doesn't have to be MPEG-4 format but my prior WMV conversion attempt failed as described above. Will the tool you mention support conversion of a DVD-Video disc to Xvid format? That's the kicker, I'm starting with an unprotected DVD-Video disc.

Nero's Recode had no problem doing the conversion, aside from the Quicktime player sync issue during playing.

Thanks!

Peace...

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Does a bunch. Just drop the main IFO into the window.

[​IMG]

6. tomdkat

Ok, I'll give it a whirl. :)

Thanks! :)

Peace...

7. tomdkat

Thanks again for this link! I ended up using AutoMen to convert the DVD-Video to a Flash Video (FLV) file and that's playing consistently across browsers and platforms for me. (y)

Peace...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!