1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about "My Computer" Properties

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Addiead0725, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Addiead0725

Addiead0725 Thread Starter

I just have a quick question. When you right-click My Computer and retrieve the properties, it displays all your computer's speed information such as CPU and RAM.

I was just wondering why these properties display two CPU speeds. For example, mine says word for word: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1.50 GHz on the CPU information line.

Can anyone explain why there are two speeds? Thanks in advance.

2. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Well I haven't been doing tech work for a few years now... But just outta curiosity... Is it a laptop? It might be displaying the model(P4 3.00ghz) and say what its running at on battery(1.5ghz)
    Thats my guess...

3. Addiead0725

Nope, it's the same computer that's in my 'Computer Specs'.

I also noticed it on my mother's PC, and my friend's PC.

It seems all Windows XP systems have two readings for the CPU speed.

I have yet to figure out why. Check on yours too.

4. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Well mine is a laptop... So it can have a MAX Speed and then a "Running" speed... It may be a SP2 thing... I dont know... Good luck with it :D

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

6. Addiead0725

Is there anyway to max my CPU speed to a more beneficial frequency without speedstep? I don't know how frequencies work, or how powerful my CPU is really running (1.5 GHz, which is half of the power I paid for), but I would like to get some insight on to what I'm actually doing here.

My motherboard is an Intel 845GV, and in my BIOS under Power does not show any option for the speedstep ability.

I don't know whether an update of my BIOS will provide me with this option, or if a BIOS update won't give me this option and just give me everything else available to my motherboard (not including speedstep).

Please inform me on anything you can, please.

7. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

take a closer look at what it says. i have an AMD so it may be different (1st off my GHz speed changes w/ cool'n'quiet on. when under load, it goes up to 2.6GHz, and when there is nothing 1.3 GHz)

what MINE says right now.
    computer:
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
    Core Processor 3800+
    2.08 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

if you don't want to have speedstep working, (well this is what i had to do for my comp)
    go to the control panel->power options, under the "power Schemes" tab, there is a drop down list of power settings. the one on the bottom of the list is "max battery" and at the top is "home/office desk". change it to home/ office desk.

for the cool'n'quiet to work on my comp, that power setting needs to be set at "Minimal Power Management".

this is also all in win2kpro's link he put up.

From what i remember, intel's speedstep is not as good at AMD's cool'n'quite. What i mean by that, is that AMD will drop the speed to 1/2 while the Intel will drop the speed by about 25%. saying that I think you are mixing up GHz and GB. b/c looking at my computer info (and the stuff off of win2kpro), it shows the actual CPU speed, and then right after that, the amount of ram you have on the same line.

I maybe wrong, but it's something i noticed, and have been known to mix up myself.

Edit: what ESIT and cool'n'quiet do is slow down the CPU when there is no load on it. This will also lower your temp. and help save power when you are not doing very intense work. The speed will automatically increase to what is meant to run at under loads. The only people i know of who would either need to turn it off or want to turn it off are people who do high overclocking. The reason why they want it of is b/c they are pushing the CPU to the max, and if the ESIT turns on, the voltage goes down too much and make the computer crash. I have found the happy medium of overclocking (was running 2.0GHz, but now 2.6GHz on each core) and still being able to use cool'n'quiet.

8. Addiead0725

This is my system information window.

[​IMG]

I was informed that the second speed is the running speed, and the first speed is the maximum speed.

If my CPU will adjust itself depending how much work its doing, then I'm ok with that, but if it doesn't and I'm not getting the power I should be, then its a problem.

Thanks for your help.

9. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

I don't see anything. just to let you know

an easy way to see that it is changing, download CPU-Z (google it)...it's the first link. and the download link is in the upper left hand corner of the page.

run that program, and it will show the current CPU speed. then try opening a big program like a game or something (itunes, or windows media player work for me), and you should see the CPU speed jump up to 3.0 GHz. Once done loading, it will drop back down.

EDIT: i do see it now

10. Addiead0725

It's a photobucket hotlink to my system specs, but here's what it says in plaintext:

Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    1.50 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM​

EDIT: And I already had CPU-Z installed, and when I ran iTunes, Windows Media Player, and some games, the highest the clock speed ever hit was 1500.0 MHz.

11. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

then go to the control panel-> power options. under the "power Schemes" tab, there is a drop down list of power settings.

I am guessing you are on the max battery power settings, so it will always run at low speeds (to save the battery) I don't know how it would have been set to this but changing it to "Minimal Power Management". Then it should be switching speeds.

12. Addiead0725

Nah, my Power Scheme was always set to Home/Office Desk.

I'll try switching to Minimal Power Management and see how that goes.

EDIT: And nope, quickly transferring from opening WMP and iTunes still only broke 1500 MHz.

13. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

hmmm... could you post a pic of what CPU-Z is saying. only the CPU tab is needed...I think

14. Addiead0725

This is basically where it idles at, give or take 0000.1 MHz:

[​IMG]

15. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

ok.. your bus speed is 1/2 of what it should be (right now it is 100, should be 200). If this was a personal build this would be an easy fix since you can go into the bios and change the settings, but b/c this is an emachine, they will block settings so you can't change them. you can try and go into the bios (normally you press the delete button at start up, but depending on the company, it could be F1 or another button) good news is that at the screen where is will show emachines, at the bottom you will see something like "press del to enter setup". press whatever button it says to get into the set up.

every bios is different depending on the the motherboard. I really don't recommend changing any of the setting unless you are 100% sure you are changing the correct settings.

I will add more in a sec... I can see you are waiting for an answer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice