1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about normal GPU/CPU temperatures and overheating.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonelliot, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonelliot

sonelliot Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I just recently built a new computer with a Quad Core CPU (Intel Quad Core Q6600), 3 GB RAM and the ASUS P5N32-E motherboard.

Because the DX10 cards are so expensive right now I decided to wait off getting a new graphics card for a while and use my old ATI Radeon X850XT PE from my old computer.

It's been running fine for about two weeks now. But recently I've been crashing a lot while playing games (some of which are pretty old and shouldn't be that hard to run).

I decided to check out what temperatures its running at so I downloaded ATITools and Speed Fan.

While running KoTOR my GPU core temperature was sitting around 79-82 degrees celcius. After 20-30 min my computer crashed. The CPU temperature was around 45-50 degrees celcius.

I tried Counter Strike: Source as well and the temperatures were sitting around 85-89 degrees celcius on the GPU and 47-50 on the CPU.

I've tried taking the GFX card out of the case and cleaning any dust out of the fan and heatsink. I couldn't figure out how to unscrew the the plastic casing accross the top of the fan and heatsink, so instead I just sucked as much dust out as I could with a vacuum clearner. There's still some dust built up around the fan blades and in between the vertical elements of the heatsink. I think that I could probably do a better job clearing out the dust later with an air gun.

In the meantime I just wanted to know whether these temperatures were something to worry about or are they normal for GPUs? I read around on google and most people seemed to indicate that between 60-70 was fine and above that was problematic; which made me worry because in most games I'm running the temperatures are above 70 on the GPU. Most people also seemed to indicate that 40-50 (or even above) was normal for CPUs.

Anyway suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. :)

2. sonelliot

sonelliot Thread Starter

Hey guys, bit of an update for you:

I was messing around in ATITools and I discovered the Fan Controls section. I set it to override the driver fan control and aim to keep the temperature at about 70 degrees celcius. I think booted up HL2 with max settings.

Now, I know that my gfx card can handle HL2 with everything turned up and on high resolution because I played the game from start to finish on my old computer with no problems and no overheatings.

Keeping an eye on both the fan speed and the GPU temperature I played the game. It maintained a 70 degree temperature easily, without using the full 100% fan speed. In fact in most situations the fan speed was about 80-90%. The highest I see it climb to was 98% during the whole time.

It crashed again, but only when I started changing the sound options around.

This got me thinking about all of the crashes I've had. The one consistent factor was sound irregularities. In KoTOR I couldn't run the game with sound working properly unless I forced it to run through software. On any other mode there was really weird distortions.

Thinking that it might be the sound card I openned up the case took it out. I cleaned away a lot of dust from the back of the board and also moved it up to a different PCI slot. I haven't installed the drivers yet; however, it seems to working fine.

I'm going to test it now to see if it crashes anymore.

Wish me luck :p

3. sonelliot

sonelliot Thread Starter

I tested it on HL2 and CSS. It ran for far longer than it had previously with no crashes.

And KoTOR didn't have any sound distortion as well.

I'm fairly convinced that it's fixed. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice