1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about Phoenix Award BIOS POST code

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomdkat, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I'm helping someone with a machine that's not booting. It has a Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00PC with an ECS RS-480-M motherboard.

For some reason, when the system is booted it gets past the POST and displays a "Code:E5, line 746" message and stops.

I've looked up the "E5" code, as best as I can, and it seems to mean "Check force recovery boot" (scroll to near the bottom of the page)

That's cool but my question is, what does "Check force recovery boot" actually mean and what action is needed to deal with it?

The system can't boot from the hard drive but CAN boot from a Linux liveCD I tested with. The hard drive is a SATA hard drive, maybe 180-200GB in size, and I connected it to another computer (Windows XP system) and ran a chkdsk on the drive and it found some corrupted files and 8kb in bad sectors.

I'm thinking the "Code:E5" message is relating to the hard drive, which I think is suspect, but I would like to know what the "Check force recovery boot" message actually means.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peace...

2. Megabite

Megabite

No to sure but at a guess....it cannot find a Operating System and cannot find a recovery partition

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Ok, I found out the "E5" error is trying to report a problem with the MBR on the boot drive. I put the hard drive in another system and got the same "E5" error code. So, I used the "MBR Utility" to install a new MBR and now I can boot into Windows XP. :)

Peace...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice