Solved: question about picture numbering with new digital camera

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snowyskies

I just got a Canon Powershot A520 for christmas :D and we also have a canon powershot S60, which we've been using for a little over a year now. When i go to install my new camera, will there be anything to watch out for in terms of the numbering of the actual pictures, or will installing it under my own admin account versus my dad's be enough? thanks for the help!

I guess there could be a problem if your camera uses the same numbering system as your dads. It shouldn't be a problem if you are saving to a folder with a unique name though. Under your own adim a/c should be fine.

Whenever saving and you get the warning about files already existing it will pay to be aware that you might be about to overight your dads files and not yours. This would only become a problem if sharing folders.

snowyskies

So if i save it to "my digital pictures" in my admin account, and dad saves his to "my pictures" in his admin account, i should be fine?

All digital cameras brands have their own naming and numbering scheme. If you and your dad have the same camera (or brand, at least), and IF you both use the same desktop, then there might be an issue if you both go to place pictures into the exact same folder. Otherwise, then I would not expect any problem.

No matter what the issue, if you go to save pictures into a common location and if there are already files there with names that are exactly the same as the new pictures you are about to put into that same location, I would expect some sort of warning message to display, to let you know of the potential overwrite.

On a related issue, if you save your pictures somewhere on your PC, and then you reset (reformat) your camera's memory card, then saving new file names will probably be the same as your previous file names. Even there, you can expect some problem, and error message, with saving identical filenames.

The easiest resolution, create separate folders in your one "My Pictures" folder (or wherever you are saving your pictures) to then just have unique folders of pictures each time.

You figure out what works for you, to avoid identical filenames in the same location.

snowyskies said:
So if i save it to "my digital pictures" in my admin account, and dad saves his to "my pictures" in his admin account, i should be fine?
Yes, in that situation you will have no problem.

snowyskies said:
Snowy, it has nothing to do with the level of access (admin or user or whatever) of the account. The Access level can change - but it does not alter the names of the folders for that user.
It depends upon the name of the account. Your desktop, is not the same as your dad's.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online