1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about Processors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xonoma, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xonoma

xonoma Thread Starter

Ok so I have been looking into getting a new PC and I have seen price differences between processors that just does not make sense to me because I am still used to the old 3.2 Pentium 4 days and any number that is higher than the previous was obviously better like a 3.2 is obviously better than a 2.8. But where as dual core is I see things such as.. And ill just copy and paste this.. 6MB,3.0 GHz, 1333FSB is not as good as 12MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB . I see the difference is the 6MB as opposed to the 12MB but can someone explain to me what the signifigance of that is? How does having a 2.66ghz with the same front side bus as ta 3.0 and 12mb have over a 6mb with a higher ghz? Im not quite understand that. I appreciate help.

2. BG-0

BG-0

The 6 and 12 MB are level 2 cache (L2) on the processor. I think (this might be utter nonsense) that level 2 cache acts a bit like a super-fast memory, linked directly to the processor. Having more of it will speed things up... I'm not really familiar on the precise physical and technological nature of this... Propably half of the guys here know more. Well, that was my assumption for a first aid :p

3. xonoma

xonoma Thread Starter

Yeah I am just trying to figure out if getting the 2.66 Ghz with the 12mb cache would be faster/better than getting a 3.0 ghz with 6mb cache but 1333 fsb

4. BG-0

BG-0

Well. I'm 95 % positive the one with 12 MB cache would be faster, and even if it isn't bt stock, they both propably overclock to about the same speeds, making the 12 MB one better.

5. xonoma

xonoma Thread Starter

Ok so I think I might have figured it out and I wanting to see if anyone can clarify and see if I am correct in assuming "IntelĀ® Core&#8482;2 Q9550 (12MB,2.83GHz, 1333FSB)" <--- That is a QUAD core because of the "Q"9550 correct? I figured this out because I was looking at toms hardware 3dmark rendering charts and I could not find that processor anywhere and I kept seeing the q9550 but it kept listing it as a quad and I was under the assumption that the "2" ment duo as in 2 processors and not 4. So am I correct in assumeing that, that means that is a QUAD core? Because that would answer my question as to why it was more expensive than the 3.0 because the 3.0 is "IntelĀ® Core&#8482;2 E8400 (6MB,3.0 GHz, 1333FSB)"

6. xonoma

xonoma Thread Starter

Well it wasn't 3dmark I dunno what I was looking at

7. BG-0

BG-0

Core 2 is a generation of CPUs. Next will come Core 3, which will propbly have 6 and 8 core CPUs. Q9550 is a quad-core. E8400 is dual. They are soo much out of each others' league that they shouldn't propably be even compared. E8400 fights with Q6600 (2.4 GHz, 8 MB cache)

8. xonoma

xonoma Thread Starter

Well guess that settles that one. Ill be getting the quad core lol. Problem Solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice