1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about setting up a wirless router with intergrated adsl modem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by computernooob, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computernooob

computernooob Thread Starter

hi guys,

i previously made a thread about buying a wirless router (http://forums.techguy.org/networking/916610-connecting-usb-only-adsl-modem.html). From that thread i have decided that im going to buy a router with intergrated adsl modem. i made this thread because i dont want to go through the hassle of returning a item bought of the internet. I had my eye on this router: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1271498847&sr=1-3-spell. Firstly i wanted someone to check that this is a wirless router with intergrated adsl modem.

I also wanted to know how i will have to set this router up. do throw away my adsl modem that i have now? or i will i need to keep that connected? Would i need to insert my modem into that router or will i just need that all in one wireless router connected to my pc and thats it?

Im very confused about my broadband. i dont know whether it is dial-up or adsl. i know for a fact that i am using the speedtouch 330 adsl usb PPP modem, but under Network connection orange broadband is listed under Dial-up :confused: (i will try and post pictures to help explain what i mean). and also i have to use software to connect to the internet, and its programmed to connect to the internet by using the speedtouch 330 adsl usb PPP modem. When the router arrives will i be able to change this so that it connect using the new router?

Any help would be appreciated. i will try and upload images to help explain what im talking about.

Thankyou :)

2. computernooob

here is an image to help explain what i mean. Hope this helps :)
    [​IMG]

3. computernooob

and here is a picture of the software i have to use to connect to the internet.
    [​IMG]

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That Belkin is indeed an ADSL modem/wireless router combo. You would use it in place of your current modem.

ISP's often require the modem to be registered with them. If that is the case with your service you will need to call them and give them the new modem's MAC Address when you are ready to use it. You will need to configure the WAN (Internet) section of the router for PPP or PPPoE and your User Account and password. The router will then make the connection; your computer(s) will no longer do that.

Best to call your ISP ahead of time to make sure of the details, and to confirm that there is no reason that the Belkin (or whatever you decide on) will not work with their service.

You are confused only because the terminology used is terribly confusing. Your description along with the screen shots you showed indicate that you do have ADSL broadband. The "Dial-up" is making the connection with your User name and password; similar to dial-up internet service, but should be called something different.

When you start using your new modem/router you will want to, probably need to, stop that Speedtouch Dial-up program from running.

5. computernooob

hi TerryNet, and thank you for the quick reply:)

sorry but i am not really good with computers,and i hope you dont mind if i ask you some questions. How would i find the new modems MAC adress? an what do you mean by i will need to configure the WAN:confused: i do not know how i can do that. Would you please tell me how i shall do that. and also you mentioned that i will no longer need my existing modem. So what shall i do with the telephone line that connects to the modem. will i have to plug that into the new router? oh yes and also, what exactly should i say to my ISP?

Thank you in advance, you help is much appreciated. :)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ISP in the UK can be funny about routers, and if not purchased or supplied free with there service, they will GIVE NO support - there are exceptions to this .
    Is your ISP orange in UK ? - They do supply a wireless router as part of the service .....

7. computernooob

yes my isp is orange in the uk, i phoned them about sending me a wirless router and they said i have to upgrade my package(pay more money). and they said the same thing when i ask them to send me a ethernet adsl modem! So that why i decided to buy a all in one wirless router.

8. computernooob

and they also reccomended getting a wirless router with intergrated adsl

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For information about logging in to the router's web-style configuration pages, configuring the WAN section, the wireless network, etc., read, consult and even study the manual. Probably won't get a paper copy, but there will be a PDF on the accompanying CD and most times also available on the manufacturer's web site.

A DSL or ADSL modem needs to be connected to the phone line.

If you are paying extra for their modem, return it to them and make sure they adjust your bill downward. If the cost is bundled into a standard rate then stick the modem in a closet in case you need to use it again.

The modem's MAC Address will be on a sticker on the unit.

What to say to your ISP--actually questions--make sure the unit you are considering will work on their system, that you know the connection type (probably PPPoE) and your User Name and Password, and whether you need to register the new modem with them.

10. computernooob

Thanks for all you help terrynet, ive got a pretty good idea on what to do now.:) Is there anything else i need to know or should i mark this thread solved?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) You can mark it Solved; if you later want to continue it you can mark it Unsolved (the button changes).

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice