1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about shared documents folder and limited accounts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tomdkat, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Does anyone know if limited accounts have read/write access to the LOCAL "shared documents" folder by default? Or do limited accounts have only read access to the "shared documents" folder?

This is for Windows XP Home Edition (SP3).

Thanks!

Peace...

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Depends on how the different user accounts were setup. If you look at the "Properties" of each of the user folders, you may see that they may be checked as private, if NOT any or all users other than "Guest" well have read access.

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think I answered my own question last night. The process used to create the additional accounts was to:
    1. Go into the 'User Accounts" control panel from an administrator account
    2. Click "Create a new account"
    3. Enter the account name
    4. Choose the type as "Limited"
    5. Create the account
    Last night, I was on another XP Home system and performed the above steps. Then, I created a Word document in the administrator account and saved it in the "Shared Documents" folder. Then, I logged out of the admin account and logged in to the limited account I created and tried to open the file in the "Shared Documents" folder and it was opened in "read-only" mode. I then tried to delete that file from the "Shared Documents" folder and was denied access.

So, I think by default limited accounts have limited access to the "Shared Documents" folder. :)

Thanks for your reply!

Peace...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice