1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question About System Restore In XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cuzinaddie, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuzinaddie

cuzinaddie Thread Starter

Hello all,
    A few months ago I had to do a clean install on my operating system and all is fine with it but before I did the install I tried a few rounds of system restore to try to avoid doing that. It didn't work, but it brings to mind a question.
    While I was looking around my HD to make sure I had backed everything up I noticed that certain files were named toejam(1).exe, toejam(2).exe, toejam(3).exe, ect ect ect all the way up to toejam(8).exe. If you take your computer back in time dosen't this replicate certain system files each and every time you do it? and if so, can you delete the extra files. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that the ones in the middle, toejam(2) through (8), would be OK to delete?
    I ask this question because I'm helping a friend sort out her computer and every time we do any kind of system scans it takes for EVER. There are over 190,000 files on her computer. I know that she has a lot of music and picture files on there, but I think that most of these files are from the many times she has done a system restore. I have a lot of picture files and MORE music files than she does but I barely break 80.000.

Does anyone know how to do this and if it can even be done?

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

I suggest you do a Google search There are quite a few responses that include games and music

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

If you want to get rid of system restore points go to My Computer > right click > properties > system restore Turn off system restore and reboot Reset system restore . That will get rid of all point up until the reboot

4. cuzinaddie

So is what you're saying that the files numbered like that are the system restore points?

5. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

If you dont know what these files are I suggest going to
    Google and doing a search for TOEJAM so you can possibly identify what they are . There are a number of responses including games and music and you will have to dtermine which it is .
    If you find them in restore and want to get rid of them do as suggested above

6. cuzinaddie

Um, toejam is not any type of program, utility, picture file, music file, or operating system, ect ect ect. It is something I made up to use as an example of a file name. I am not trying to get rid of the system restore points, and I'm not trying to define TOEJAM(1).EXE.
    My question is, if you take your computer back in time via system restore does it replicate certain system files? And if said files are just renamed by adding the next higher number to it to show that the computer has gone back in time using system restore, can I delete the ones in the middle? I used TOEJAM as an example of such files to show the sequence to which they are named.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

No, it should not "replicate system files" in general.

Trojans often use such sequential numbering though, so some real file names may help.

8. cuzinaddie

Hey Kiwiguy,
    Those files that I was referring to no longer exist. I did a clean install way back when so they are gone. I was just wondering because someone else asked me this question.... I never thought of a trojan though. You have made my mind just a little mo sharper. Thanks!!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice