1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question about using Using an Ethernet Switch with my new Gigabit Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MLM122, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MLM122

MLM122 Thread Starter

Hey, all. For a couple years now, I have been using a 5 -port Linksys Etherfast switch to hook a Panasonic blu ray player & DishNetwork Box to the internet via my home network. I had the switch plugged into a gaming adapter. Worked fine, until I had to replace my router. Was using a Linksys WRT54G router and the switch & router communicated flawlessly.. didn't even have to set it up manually when I first added the switch. Did all this to avoid dropping more wires into my back bedroom.

I upgraded to Cisco (Linksys) E3000 Gigabit router, and the switch will not "talk" to the new router. DHCP's enabled, and both the bluray player & Dish box tried to autoconnect using DHCP.. no dice. Tried several hard resets on all devices mentioned above, even firmware update on the new router. No dice.

So here's my question : do you think it's just an incompatibility question? If I buy an Gigabit ethernet switch, do you think that will fix the communication problem?

I was thinking if you go gibabit to gigabit.. It might be more compatible. I wanted some expert opinions though, before I go dropping another $30-40 on a new switch.

I read about creating ethernet bridges using DD-WRT firmware, but it seems daunting. I am not a complete noob, but it seemed beyond what I wanted to bite off.

Thanks in advance you guys & gals! [​IMG]

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi MLM122, and welcome to TSG.

Was the gaming adapter used as some kind of wireless bridge between the switch and the old wireless router? If so, did you reestablish a working wireless connection (correct SSID, encryption method and encryption key) between adapter and the new router?

3. MLM122

MLM122 Thread Starter

I was using the gaming adapter to grab a wireless signal in my bedroom. I didn't manually input any of the settings you mention above at all. I hooked the gaming adapter up to to the ethernet switch and it just worked. The linksys setup wizard won't work b/c it can't find the adapter on the network.. Ironically... if it could find the adapter, I wouldn't need the setup wizard

. Just used the menu option on the dishbox to renew DHCP connection (on the old router) and it worked. Same with the bluray. My bluray player automatically assigned itself an IP address, but the new router does not see it. I tried disabling DHCP on the bluray and assigning it an address like 192.168.1.2 but that didn't work either.

Thanks for your reply and any other advice yoiu can give!:)

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    It usually is the other way around; the adapter needs to find and connect to the wireless access point in the router. What is the brand and exact model number of the wireless gaming adapter?

5. MLM122

MLM122 Thread Starter

You were right in a previous post... after re-reading your first reply.. I thought maybe I needed to hook the gaming adapter directly to the desktop computer's ethernet port to get it to run setup. I did that, and voila! Gaming adapter found!! Earlier, I was trying to do it through my laptop's ethernet port, through a wireless card.

Brand/Model of the G/A is Linksys WGA600N, just to answer your question though.

Please mark this thread solved, and your response did help, so thank you much and happy holidays!! :)

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

As the original poster, you can mark your own threads as "Solved" using the button above your first post.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!