1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question for Sygate/Registry gurus (please)

Discussion in 'General Security' started by morland, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

I am using XP SP3 with latest service packs and recently did a fresh installation. However since the new installation i have been experiencing some very frustrating issues and here's one of them. Hope to get help.

When I start the machine a Sygate message showing in the attached image pops up for a while. It says "An application named NDIS User mode I/O Driver (File name ndisuio.sys) has been blocked from accessing the network". I have checked under Application (by right clicking on Sygate) but there is no entry for ndisuio.sys :confused: I have searched the registry with the intention of deleting the entry for ndisuio.sys but could not find anything. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing Sygate, but this hidden think keeps on popping up. I am facing exactly the similar issue with another one called NTOSKRNL.EXE. The message are popping up but the entries are not showing up in the blocked application. Is there anyway to clean the registry to get rid of these 2 for Sygate and start all over again?

Please help. Am frustrated after trying to complete the fresh install for the last 48+ hours without much sleep and one thing after the other is just popping up.

I don't have the energy to do the installation all over again.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa939301(WinEmbedded.5).aspx

NTOSKRNL.EXE

Do you have a Bluetooth application on your computer?

Sygate hasn't been updated since, I think, 2005! I think you should find yourself another firewall.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My thought exactly. The last version of Sygate Personal Firewall to be released was 5.6.2808 in October 2004. Symantec took over Sygate and then that firewall program went extinct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. antimoth

antimoth

Past Sygate user here. If my memory is right, those two messages were common to every Sygate install in the world. You got one when your PC or another one one the same network booted, and the other came on at frequent intervals.

It's too old. Get a new firewall. Online Armor Free is light and in the same mode. It works well for me with Avast antivirus too.

5. morland

morland Thread Starter

I am willing to try another firewall but can before doing that, how do i get rid of this hidden blocked access somewhere in the registry to ndisuio.sys and NTOSKRNL.EXE. At the moment a fresh install seems to be the only option (given my limited it knowledge) and I don't want to take that route.

No i do not have any Bluetooth application.

Is there a solution? Last but not least, thank you for your replies.

6. Phantom010

This is a common problem for Sygate users.

By uninstalling Sygate, I don't think you'll keep getting the error message anymore.

7. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks Phantom010. I guess there is no solution but to uninstall Sygate and probably try Comodo? :(

8. Phantom010

You shouldn't be sad about it. :D Sygate is outdated anyway.

Try Online Armor or Comodo.

9. morland

morland Thread Starter

Appreciate your replies and suggestions. Will probably try out Comodo's freeware version. I've heard it's good.

Thanks again and Regards.

10. Phantom010

You're welcome!

11. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear morland,
    Comodo firewall is a real busybee and as phantom agrees, it IS damn good at it's job! The number of permissions, it asks you initially CAN be quite frustrating. All this is to add a word of caution! Zone-Alarm free is least obstrusive, but these days almost all third party firewalls being bi-directional, it will be less of a headache for you! Best wishes!:)

12. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thank you perfume. I value the advice/guidance of senior members :)

Regards.

13. morland

morland Thread Starter

Hello Phantom010 and perfume,

Though the thread is marked as solved but i just wanted to share the update with you. I downloaded the free version of Comodo, removed Sygate, installed comodo, went through the learning curve (the many pop ups etc. but was okay with that) until I realized 2 things:

1. It was doing some Sandbox thing automatically and when i tried to use my 'can't do without tools/aplications', they failed to run. This is can understand because maybe i should have disabled the sandbox option (or whatever it's called in comodo), BUT

2. I was just reading something and when I looked at the screen after about 15 minutes or so the hour glass was on... I pressed keys (in a slight panic mode and don't remember which one's) and when nothing happened I pressed the power off button and guess what, it displayed a message saying something like "Other users are connected... are you sure you want to...." I said yes, re-started, removed Comodo, and am back to Sygate. I can not believe it. Even if Sygate (the only firewall I have ever used well i did try Zone alram a few years ago but only for a few days) if outdated and obsolete, I never ever faced such a problem and during the last 3 or so years since feeling a little IT literate, I have never experienced a security related problem while using Sygate. Nothing like this.

Please guide if I have made a mistake or if there is something really fishy. I am shocked and confused (multiply that with at least 10)

Regards.

14. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear morland,
    I used Comodo firewall a long way back when they launched one product after another. I too went thru' the learning curve, but the annoying thing was "the number of pop-ups" asking me for allow/deny! I am not a Geek (then and now) and it was like "the treatment worse than the disease"! Later i got the Kas. Sec.Suite and that left me in peace, because KIS has a database of its own"trusted programs" and will prompt you, if the download has no digital signature and the vendor cannot be verified!

Recently when i had to transit from KIS 2009 to 2010, in the interim period, i tried two firewalls 1) outpost and 2) ZA free and felt "most comfortable" with the latter! Download ZA free and you will be happy!;)(y)

PS; Comodo has/had a "comodo memory firewall" to prevent "buffer overflow attacks" and that was one fantastic piece of software!

15. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks perfume... I'm back on Sygate right now and after taking a image of my laptopm will probably give Zone Alarm's free version a try. Does it at least offer every feature which Sygate offers?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice