1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question! Home networks Please help! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MycroftH25, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MycroftH25

MycroftH25 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I had a quick question about a network at home.

My house is 15m tall and 9m wide, I want to network 3 computers (mine, wife, son).

Should I wire the house with Ethernet cat 5e cable and put a 100 base T switch?
    Or
    Just put a Wi-Fi access point and Wi Fi cards for the 3 computers.

I prefer wireless, but I’ve heard Ethernet would have slightly faster speeds due to less aerial interference.

Suggestions? Solutions? Thank you!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Actually, wired will have better and more consistent performance. I wouldn't bother wiring your house with Cat5e. I would wire with at least Cat6a. I added in two Cat6 runs recently to provide future support for 10GigE. Since you're doing this all new, I would go with the wiring that provides the best future capability which is Cat6a. I went with Cat6 as it was the cabling I was able to get quickly locally and the runs were within the 55 meter limit for 10GigE support. Cat6a supports 10GigE up to 100 meters.

Also, pulling wiring does not preclude you from adding in wireless. You will be in a position where you won't have the issues others run into on this forum where they have to use repeaters to get proper wireless coverage. You can pull cable drops for any wireless access point and have it in a location where it provides the best coverage versus just having an AP located where you can only place it due to physical connection limitations. I have my house pretty well wired but still have a very extensive wireless system with multiple APs spread around all the floors. The advantage I have over someone who has to use repeaters is I have the best performance available as which ever AP my wireless client connects to, it's talking to an AP and not being funneled through a repeater which reduces performance. I also have better roaming.

With regards to the wired versus wireless debate. Wired will always be better. Wired does not have to operate in half duplex mode which wireless does. This means on a wired network, all devices can talk simultaneously. On a wireless network, only one device can talk at any given time; this includes the AP. With one wireless client, it's not a big deal. But when you start adding more devices, it becomes an increasing problem. Adding in multiple APs will help in alleviating this limitation. Also, if you're into having the latest and greatest speed, wired is always first with faster speeds. Currently, wireles has a max of 1.3 Gbps with 802.11ac. Wave 2/phase 2 of 802.11ac is promising 3 Gbps performance. With Ethernet on twisted pair cabling, 10 Gbps is the current fastest speed which is dramatically faster than even the next wave of 802.11ac.

3. MycroftH25

That's perfect, I get it now. I'll research bit more and see in terms of budget.

THANK YOU!!! Ever grateful :)

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You're welcome.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Look into this: [​IMG]
    One connects to the router and then the computer.

You can place 2 or 3 more units anywhere in your home in a plug near a computer and run cat5 or cat6 from the unit to the NIC card on the computer.

I've used these for quite a few years. My husbands two computers in the basement, were connected "wired" to this device to the router on the first floor.

6. MycroftH25

Thank you, I'll look into it :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice