1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question, How do I randomly rename many files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XerXerz, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XerXerz

XerXerz Thread Starter

For this question, I have about 7217 files that each have strange filenames. For this, how can I rename all files at once, with each file with its own random name?(Preferably a random string of numbers.) How can I do this so I don't have to manually edit each file? Thanks.

2. Xperience

Xperience

Well, to be hoenst with you, i really dont think that there is actually a way that you can do that, and my experience with computers, which is quite alot, well i dont seem to recall a program that will do that for you. However, all is not lost, i will look around, see if i can find anything :)

~Xp

3. bernardus

bernardus

Impossible!
    You wouldn't be able to recognize what files you have. The files would be more strange than the ones you allready have. Put them in folders to specify what kind of files you have
    You could do that with Shift hold down select a first and a last file, you can see the amount that will be selected and copy or drag them to a specific folder.

bernardus.

4. Xperience

Xperience

"You wouldn't be able to recognize what files you have."

Would you mind explaining to me what you mean by that? Like, i just dont know what you mean, it doesnt fit with the subject to me, but after you explain, im sure it will :)

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Probably not impossible (if you look hard enough), but definitely impractical. After all, how would you know what hv9ug084ht098ygr.exe or something like that was? To me, it would be instantly gone from my machine due to suspicion of being spyware.

6. Xperience

Xperience

I was under the impression that he/she already knew what the files where and just wanted to rename them, all different names of course, which sounds impossible to me. But maybe not.

Also, i may point out, that Windows is known to create files with randon, strange names, and well, they are normally required system files, even if not in the System Directories, they shouldnt be renamed...if they are created by Windows, of course. Else if you didnt create them, then some automated malicious application did and they should be gone, as techkid said.

7. bernardus

bernardus

Xperience
    It's exactly what is mentioned by another menber.
    You wouldn't be able to see what X or Y is????

bernardus

8. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David

9. Xperience

Xperience

Oh right guys :) Well it is impossible. You cant do it, no application will do it, and manually doing will take around 5 months (probably not lol :p). Umm... where did these files come from, is the question i think?

10. bernardus

bernardus

If you don't know where they have come from or what they present, drop them on a DVD and remove them from your PC. A date is an indication. If you haven'd been using or changing them for a long period they're perhaps not usefull? If you R click on the folder and if there is an icon Windows will show you the assotiations. If there is no icon there is no association and windows won't be able to tell you what it is. It is than up to you to decide what association you will choose. Be carefull don't select the option Allways open with (a Program). Because that will associate all other fileextensions or identical folders to your decision.

bernardus

11. XerXerz

XerXerz Thread Starter

Sorry for not saying what the files were,

For these files, I want to change all the names to random because they are all image files that I have gotten and put into one folder. Many of the file names were the same and they started to use the the (*) signs which I think does not look very good.

This is what I did:

I got all images from these folders:
    [​IMG]

and put them all into one folder. The result I got was this:
    [​IMG]
    (This is a non-scrolling image, there are about 7000 more images in this folder)

I want to change all of the images to random files names (preferably numbers) so that all of the images file names do not look very ugly, but neat. Yes, I know there is really no other reason for doing this other then to make it look neater, but does anyone know of a way?

Also, I want am just going to put all of these images onto an external device, not of the computer, and just view the images by thumbnails, which is how I will know what the images are.

12. bernardus

bernardus

XERXERZ
    JPEG file extension as you send it are just images associated with Irfanvieuw a Photoprogram. You can open them and give them a name. They are of no importance to your system. You can drop them on a DVD. The file folders are named but since you didn't open them I cannot see what the associated filetype is. Don't send them all !?

bernardus

13. XerXerz

XerXerz Thread Starter

Sorry for not saying this, but I know what the files are. What I am trying to do is rename all the files at once to a different random string of numbers, without having to do it manually. Is there a way to do this? ( I know there is no reason to rename them to random strings of numbers, I just think that it is neater that way.)

14. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I don't know how relevant this might be but I did find this program called Hirudo: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hirudo/.

It is apparently in a beta stage, and I can't guarantee any reliability, but it might do the job.

15. XerXerz

XerXerz Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, however the link was to the source, and I have no idea how to use it.

However, after a quick search on I found website File Renames

With many links to programs which rename many files randomly.

Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice