1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Question: How to see libraries in the File Save/File Open form

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by OS_Challenged, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to make the 'Libraries' folder structure appear when doing a file open file save. In both case I can see the folders labeled Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. but I cannot see the Libraries folder.

Is this possible? How?

Thank you,

OS

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember that the Libraries are not actual folders--they are just displayed as if they were.

Where do you want Libraries to appear? If in the main pane that will depend on the folder in which the file is. If in the Navigation pane then in File Explorer: View tab - click the down arrow by Navigation pane - select 'Show libraries.'

3. OS_Challenged

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm 47, and have gone back to school. It takes everything I have just to keep up with the studies. That's why I want to know how to do this. I have all of my school related stuff added to the library. It makes it easier/faster to find everything, at least for me.

I realize that it may not be possible to do what I want, but I'm hoping there's a way to make it happen.

---

So lets say you are working in Word, or any other program for that matter. You do a File > Open, you see the Open window, OR you have been working on something and you do a File > Save, you get the Save As window.

In both cases the window is split into two sections, on the left is a hierarchy of your folder structure, on the right what is in the selected folder. I would like to see the libraries listed in either of these sections, but preferably in the left half.

Does this help?

Can it be done?

Thank you,

OS

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try this and see if it is what you are attempting.
    Click "View" in the top Bar.
    Now click "Navigation pane", over on the left.
    This will give you several view options, including "Show libraries"
    Tick this and see if it is sufficient for your purpose.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most of my programs show the "Libraries" listed near the top of the Tree.
    That said, there may be some older programs that were NOT designed to use the Libraries.

What programs and versions and on what OS are you having this issue?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What I suggested, and davehc repeated, did not work to get the Libraries appearing in the Navigation Pane?

7. OS_Challenged

I do not get these options in the File> Open or File > Save windows. I have gotten them in Windows Explorer and they are already on. This did nothing to accomplish what I am trying to do.

8. OS_Challenged

I think you may have hit on it. When I used Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint 2010, as well as Maya 2014, I do not see Libraries listed. The issue with Maya may be a Maya thing.

However, if I use Photoshop CC or Illustrator CC I do see the libraries listed.

Can anyone out there confirm whether or not Word, Excel, etc. (2013) does show the libraries???

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just checked Excel 2013 in Windows 8.1 and it does not show the Libraries. Must be that new pain in the neck interface. Notepad does show the Libraries.

10. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Spanner in the works. Excel - Word etc 2013 in mine does show the libraries? You should have, also "Show all folders" selected

Attached Files:

11. OS_Challenged

I got it....

Here's what I had to do, in case anyone else down the road wants to know how to make this happen.

Open Windows Explorer (Winkey + E).

Scroll to where Libraries is located and Right click and drag up to the Favorites folder. With the Favs folder highlighted, release the right mouse button. The Libraries folder (or whatever it is) will now be listed under Favorites.

In Word, Powerpoint, etc, Libraries will now be listed under the Favorites folder.

There may be another way to accomplish this, but this is how I did it.

Thank you all for your responses, they are what lead me to this solution.

OS

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1119138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice