1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Question of hard drive going??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barlen, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Suddenly my machine has slowed to a crawl. PC,Windows 98se, Pentium !!! 400, 256 Ram, 10meg hard disc-with about 1/2 available. Particularly noted as I use Photoshop. Have to wait for every changeof brushes, curves, view, etc..
    Am also hearing some noises that are new, coming from my hard disc.
    I ran discscan and defrag with no help that I can tell.
    Had installed AOL Instant messanger for my granddaughter and deleted 264 files! Also, no help.
    Is this possibly the beginning of a hard disc breakdown?? Or is it due to AIM?.
    I would have no problem in deleting AIM. I don't use it, but it would be nice to be able to keep it to maintain contact with this granddaughter. She's amazing- I saw her juggling 4 different conversations at once!!
    Len H

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Is this only happening when you are using Photoshop?
    My guess would be that it is your resources while using Photoshop that is slowing it down. Make sure you aren't running any other programs as well.

3. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

LadyLisa,

4. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

LadyLisa,
    Thank you for the rapidity of your response. It IS particularly noted when using Photoshop or any other graphic program I have.
    tomorrow,will exit AIM and see what happens. It's late, I'm tired and I tend to really mess up in those kind of situations. Will also try a few other programs to see it that makes any difference in their function --i.e excel. Quicken
    Len H

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Well in that case it definately sounds like your resources. Graphics programs use up a lot and when using anything like Photoshop you really don't want to have other programs running.
    Also you should look at the System Monitor, you can find it under Accessories>System Tools. Set it to watch Allocated Memory, Swapfile in Use and Unused Physical Memory, they all come under
    Memory Manager. When you open Photoshop watch the Unused Physical Memory to see how low it goes, if it goes low then that is probably what is wrong.

6. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

LadyLisa,
    I was able to get into System Monitor and found the following-(I've never used this before)--allocated memory on a scale of 488.2, charts at 366.2+. Other memory charts at 244.1-(same scale of 488.2) System resources has 45% available, User resources 45% and GDI resources 66% (whatever all that means)
    I couldn't find Swapfile in Use nor a specific title of Unused physical memory.
    I also went back to my Photoshop preferences to see if that had been fooled with and I allocate 100% of what I have available to Photoshop. (unchanged from before when things worked well.)
    While running the tests of allotted and other memory, I started and stopped Photoshop-- A minor change in the chart only.
    Hope this gives you some better idea of what I am dealing with. Not so incidentally, all other programs seem to come up and work as fast as before-Opera, Quicken, Excel.
    Len H

7. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Barlen

When you open System Monitor under the Edit menu click Add Item. In the add item box under Category you will see Memory Manager, if you click on this it will show you a list in the right pane. You scroll down and that is where you will find Swapfile in Use and Unused Physical Memory. You will probably find it going slow when you notice the Unused Physical memory has dropped down to under 2M.
    I just opened Photoshop and I still had 65% resources so yours seems very low.
    Did you close out other programs that are running? If you press ctrl-alt-del once you will be able to see what is running on your system at the moment. Try closing off everything except Explorer and Systray and then open Photoshop and see if it works any better. You have something running that is draining your resources. Hope this helps, it may be something that you have to run from startup that you don't know about.

8. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

LadyLisa,
    Sorry to be so dense, but I'm in the middle of a horrendous cold and can't hardly see straight. I didn't notice that there was more on the right panel, if you scrolled down. --You seem to be right on.
    With Photoshop up and running, my Unused Physical Memory is probably about 3-5M. The swapfile in use reads out at about 1.6M.
    Looking at what I have running, it seems to be no different than what I had in the past-- having cleaned up a lot of goop when Windows/Netscape was constantly crashing.
    I will start checking out and eliminating some of the "niceties' I have for convenience. I already checked <msconfig> and can find nothing new there
    Thank you for all your help-- at least I now know what direction to head in.
    Len H

9. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

Barlen,

I see Lady Lisa has you on the right track and moving in the right direction. :D

Bellevue, Hmmmmm I have some very good friend that live there also.

DS

11. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

LadyLisa and DarkStar,
    I can't thank you enough - i've used this resource a fair number of times and am amazed at the rapidity, practicality and accuracy of the help offered.
    As a senior, I don't have many (make that any) friends who know beans about computers. Essentially, I'm on my own. Though I've used them since early on, I really don't know that much about them. Enough to know when to yell for help, and this resource has always been there.
    LL - enjoy your time off. I've decided that I'm going to live after all- I'm starting to get over my cold by this time. I will be checking out those other resources -- remember I was originally concerned that this might be a hardware problem - now knowing what to focus on makes a world of difference.
    DS- thanks for chiming in. Glad for the corroboration.
    Len H

12. Hanibal

Hanibal

you seem to be in good hands over here. i will through my 2 cents anyways. :)

do ctrl+alt+del. how many programms do you see? if you have win98/me/se/95 you only need explorer and systray. end task the rest.

cheers

13. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Hannibal,
    I hope I won't be taking advantage of you-- but you walked in!
    I was going to slowly shut down the programs listed-- I have a raft of them-- some of which I have no idea about and several relating to virus protection. In view of your suggestion which is consistent with LadyLisa-- since I have a DSL, always on, is it safe to shut down those programs? Since getting hit with a virus a while ago, I'm gun shy.
    OR, when I go to work in Photoshop, should I just shut down my DSL and reactivate all my antivirus and firewall stuff when I'm done?
    there are some things that I don't have any knowledge of HPZSTATZ (could it be related to my HP printer), MCEXT , AQTEXE16, AGTSERV, RUNDL, VETMSG9x,EMEXEC--I don't think cutting the unknowns out temporarily would hurt anything-but am not sure which is why I was going to go slowly.
    Last but not least--WHY NOW???
    Len H

14. Hanibal

Hanibal

Hi

disconnect from the net before you disable all these. and run your program with only explorer and systray. if you are not connected to the net. there is no fear from contacting a virus.

explorer and systray the only one you need

cheers

15. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Hannibal,
    Thanks- Will do.
    There is still the question of why now, but that has happened with other things and windows-- something that needs to be expected and unfortunately, tolerated.
    However, I'm looking for a fix, not a philosophical discussion. This is part of my concern about getting a new computer with XP, until things have shaken down for at least another 6 mos!!!
    Len H

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice