1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] question on how to save favorites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by possum4ev, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. possum4ev

possum4ev Thread Starter

Hi I'm changeing computers and I'm with AOL and dont want to lose my favorites is there away I can save my favorites are some way to send them to my new computer with out loseing everything I have in favorites can someone maybe that is with aol tell me how to go about doing this...thanks

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Since nobody else has answered, I am going to give you a general rundown. I use Compuserve and I think they are very similar. Open your Favorites and look at the bottom of the page for a save/replace button. You can use AOL help to get the details.
    I can create a file and save it. It contains all my Favs from Compuserve. It can only be read by Compuserve and I know it's the same with AOL. I then import it into the new Compuserve Favorites using the Replace Button and directing CS to the location of the file.(You'll probably put it on Floppy) If you don't intend to use AOL on your new computer, you can open each site and Save it as a Real Favorite in Internet Explorer. That's a tedious process. If you want to avoid this in the future if using AOL, use AOL to connect, then minimize it and start the Internet Explorer you have on the desktop.

3. RandyG

RandyG

Easiest way I can think of is to go to Explorer (Right-Click My Computer and choose Explore) and open the Favorites folder in the Windows directory in the left hand pane. On the right hand pane, you will see all of your favorites, click on one, then press Ctrl+A to select them all. Put a blank floppy in your A drive, and then right-click all of the selected favorites, and select Send to, 3 1/2 Floppy (A).

When you take the floppy to the new computer, go to Explorer again, click on A, and select all, then right-click and choose copy. Go to C:, Windows, Favorites, right-click and select Paste.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

The AOL Favorites are not stored there. The Software is proprietary.

5. possum4ev

possum4ev Thread Starter

thank you all so much I went to aol it had place on favorites to save,replace so I save them all to a floppy disk thanks for the help...

6. RandyG

RandyG

Thanx for letting me know Mosaic. I have never used AOL, and didn't realise it was that type of favorites he was referring to.

Possum, glad you got it sorted.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!