1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: question re: using 2nd router for WPA security

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FESTO KGB, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

My current router/gateway is a NetgearCG814WG that only gives me the option of WEP encryption. I would like to purchase a 2nd router with WPA capability and use that for my wireless access. I saw the following in an old post and wondered if this would apply to my situation as well

Is this the correct way in my situation? Any other guidance will be much appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, that is a good solution. After you get it all working just disable the modem/router's wireless.

Before you buy, have you checked to see if Netgear has a firmware upgrade that will give you WPA capability?

3. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Thanks!

I have not checked for a firmware upgrade and frankly I am a little leery considering how many people say that a netgear firmware upgrade hosed their router.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not just use the newer router by itself? I won't be insulted if you don't use my dual router configuration. :D

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because his current router is a modem/router combo. :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Good reason! :D

7. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Yes, that is a good reason! :) That is also the reason that I can't upgrade the firmware. According to the Netgear site I need to get any firmware from the vendor (Comcast). Rather than go through that headache I will just get another router and go from there.

Thanks for all the help.

I am marking this as solved

8. jackdw

jackdw

I have a netgear router, set up in John's way that I upgraded the firmware on. All worked fine from the rotuer's product page on netgear...

9. FESTO KGB

FESTO KGB Thread Starter

Yes, but the modem/router gateway I have is made by Netgear but with Comcast specific functionality to it. Thats why I have to get the firmware from the vendor that I received the modem/router from.

10. jackdw

jackdw

Ah I see now... Fair enough.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice