1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Questions about Windows 7 (32-bit)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by morland, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morland

morland Thread Starter

I am just tired and exhausted of trying to find XP drivers for my laptop and I think I will probably go with Windows 7 in a day or so. I know there will be a learning curve since I have been using only XP (32-bit) for the last so many years.

I have a few questions and will appreciate if I can please get help:

1. Does Windows 7 automatically detect all the drivers. Will it? Or do I need to spend a few months trying to find Windows 7 drivers for my laptop (For Sony VAIO VGN-FZ140E which has only 2 GB RAM)
    2. Is Windows 7 (32-bit) faster than XP (32-bit). Maybe the answer will be subjective but would like to request views
    3. I have been using Sygate as my firewall for years and simply love it. I am very familiar with it's interface and details. I think Sygate is no longer available but does anyone know if it will work under Windows 7 (32-bit). For the worst case scenario, I have shortlisted a freeware firewall called COMODO
    4. I have a few utilities that I probably cannot do without. Amongst these is KeyText 2000 (v2.16). Has anyone used it and will it work under Win 7. Maybe later (not now) I might purchase their latest version. I am actually trying to explore and learn a freeware called AutoHotKey

Thanks

2. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

1. For the most part yes, but not really old hardware, the upgrade advisor will show you which if any are not compatible with W7.

3. Sygate will not work in W7, I wish it did, its my favorite...W7 will block the Sygate driver.

Here is some good advice when installing programs in Vista-W7, This is good advice even if the program was designed for Vista-W7

Here is how to install software or drivers on Vista-W7 that are for XP,2000

1. Download your program to a folder of choice, Right click on the setup.exe file for the software/driver you are trying to install and select properties, if there is an "Unblock" button on the General Tab, click it, then go to the compatibility Tab

2. Tick the "run this file in compatibility mode" box and then select XP in the drop down box, or whatever OS the software was designed for, Tick "run this program as Administrator" if it is available, hit OK. If it was designed for Vista-W7 then skip compatibility and only use run as administrator.

3. Now double click this setup.exe file to execute the install process, hopefully all will go well and install the drivers/Software you need.

4. If the exe installs software for the device, or you have installed software only, you need to navigate to the program folder where it installed, then do the compatibility thing (1 & 2) again for the program executable(s). If the program was designed for Vista-W7 skip compatibility mode, just tick "run as administrator"

I do not guarantee all drivers or software to work in Vista-W7, but a large percentage do..

4. morland

morland Thread Starter

Thanks Mumbodog.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You are welcome.

6. morland

morland Thread Starter

May I request a related feedback. I still have not been able to do a fresh install due to problem with my laptop. So I guess this might be a blessing in disguise?? (Though i am not enjoying any minute of the frustration I'm going through for the past couple of day) :)

I read someone saying that XP 64-bit is pathetic. Is that true? I doubt it but will appreciate if people using/having used 64-bit XP can share their experience. I think my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E but only 2 MB RAM) has decent specs to take advantage of the 64-bit version. Also, if you are someone who had been using only XP for the last many years what did you opt for; 64-bit XP or 32-bit Windows 7?

Thank you.

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

8. morland

morland Thread Starter

(y)(y)(y)

9. antech

antech Banned

I think COMODO has some compatibility issues with Windows 7 and sime BSOD are also associated with it due to its integration with the OS.
    I would personally stay away from COMODO until they have some Stable Products.
    Also DO NOT Try COMODO System Cleaner under any windows.
    It has some bugs associated with it
    These are just my personal reviews
    Any comment is appreciated

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!