1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Questions on Java

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DevilDogMom, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevilDogMom

DevilDogMom Thread Starter

I am not sure if this is the right forum. Java seems to have a continuing security problem. They create patches that work until the next problem arises. Why can't they fix the real issue so hackers cannot repeatedly use java as an entry to computers? My bigger question is why is java necessary? Why can't the various manufacturers include the functions of java into the computers when they are built & software installed? Is it more complicated than that? I deleted java after seeing the news that Homeland security advised disabling it. I did not know how to disable it so I deleted it with Revo.

Do I absolutely need to reinstall it? My old PC runs Vista but will soon run Wins 7. My new laptop is Wins7, 64 bit.

If I don't need it then I just as soon not reinstall it. Thanks.

2. nikomaster

nikomaster

This has happened very often. They found a security vulnerability and they suggest you to turn it of while they fix it.

JAVA is necessary to run some applications, so if you don't need these applications so you don't need JAVA. These applications are called applets and their common file extension is .jar

Manufacturers don't include java functions because JAVA it is not indispensable for the operating system. Let's say this is just optional.

If you are planning to upgrade to Win7 you don't need to re-install JAVA or have it active whatsoever.

3. TOGG

TOGG

Have a look at the 'Do you need Java?' paragraph near the foot of this page; http://www.javatester.org/ The most likely answer to the question for most people is 'probably not'.

I only had one program that definitely needed it and that was the Secunia Online Software Inspector, and I can certainly do without that! Libre Office, which is supposed to need Java, has worked fine for me since I uninstalled it.

JavaScript, despite the name, is completely different software which can have its own security problems but cannot be uninstalled, only enabled or disabled in your browser(s). If JavaScript is disabled many sites/pages will fail to display properly.

4. DevilDogMom

I appreciate your time and reply. I am really glad to know I probably won't need it.

Gail

5. DevilDogMom

And thank you too for you time and info. This site is so helpful for people like me who don't know or don't understand all there is to know about our computers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!