1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quick CPU / Heatsink question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bernardo, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Starting assembly on my i3 system today.....came with a heat sink. Haven't built a rig in awhile. The heatsink has mesh like looking material on it (not the same as the silver looking tape from the past that we've always been advised to peel off and apply goop :D ) ---- is this the same thing? Do I get rid of it, or is this adequate for cooling?

TIA for any quick replies. I'm getting ready to rumble !!!!

I googled around and found this:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=244080

I won't be overclocking or doing anything that cpu intensive either...no gaming, etc.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Intel wouldn't apply it to their CPU's if it wasn't good, after all they do not want to do warranty replacements of failed processors and lose money.

3. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

(y) Thanks, yes I could figure that.....but, then I recall the past icky problem of getting it off :)

Thanks again! Marking solved!

As a side note, I've always thought that the warranties wouldn't be honored anyway :D how would you prove what?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Intel does honor their warranties. If the get a CPU or heatsink back without their thermal pad then they know its been removed.

5. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

So, are you saying that if it's removed, that could void the warranty?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's what Intel says, or use too say. I think they generally only want the CPU returned for warranty anyway so if you clean off the CPU you should be fine - plus CPU's rarely fail anyway. The stock Intel cooling(heatsink, fan, thermal pad) are quite good. I overclocked my E6550 from 2.33Ghz to 3.33Ghz with the stock Intel solution which no overheating, I've since upgraded to a better(cooler looking heatsink) that only lowered the temps by a degree or two.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo Thread Starter

Ok, great! Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!