1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quick IP Question (kind of important)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jnibori, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Today , while checking my IP, via the command prompt, I noticed my IP address recently changed. When I checked WhatsMyIp it shows a totally different IP, then what my command prompt shows. It also shows me in a different state. I have ran these same tests numerous times, and the IP shown on my Command Prompt was always the same as when I did IP checks on the usual sites, and always showed me in my true city.

A trace on the IP from the IP check site is traced to Cox Communication. (My ISP) The IP shown on my command prompt, is not registered to anything.

I do NOT have my browser set to to use a proxy (LAN), and I not do I use any proxy software. I am connected directly to the Internet via a router, and I am NOT networked. No WiFi either.

I called Cox and they said they do not use proxies. The tier-one level support did not even know what a proxy is, and refused to let me speak with somebody who knows something about them. He did indicate my IP from my Command prompt is linked to one of their routers, but could not answer why it shows me in another state.

My questions are these:

Can this be anything but a proxy server?
    Perhaps a re-route due to server issues here?

And why does my command prompt show a different IP than the IP verification Sites?

Thanks, this is really important to me.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you pay for a fixed IP - otherwise, if you disconnect from your ISP - you often get a different IP
    I have had 5 in the last four years - each time they go down or we have a power cut out, i usually get a different IP

3. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

No, but this ISP only offers static for home use.

I don't mind the change in the IP, but I need to rule out a proxy server being used. I'm trying to figure out something, and I am trying to rule out every possible variable.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whatsmyip is getting better. Last time I checked I was in MO. Now I'm in IL only 20 or 25 miles south of here. Some people have found themselves on the opposite coast, or even in a different country. So don't spend any time worrying about their idea of geography.

Don't know why it would get the IP wrong though. Try http://whatismyip.com/ .

Is your computer showing a private or public IP?

5. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

No, the same IP as the other site.

If somebody can offer a plausible reason for the different IPs, then I'm satisfied this has nothing to do with what I'm trying to figure out. Also, this is definitely new, since the last time I ran these tests.

I don't know if Cox routes somebody to another server, if that reflects on an IP. The tech I spoke with really did not know much at all, and even after putting me on hold three times (I assume to ask for help) he still could not answer it. I would think somebody would have mention I've probably been routed and that's why, if that's a possibility.

Not sure about the IP, but what was ever assigned thought Cox

6. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Not sure if this helps, but this is what I mean.

I just saw on the preview it's not very readable, but my true IP begins with 192.168....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The 192.168.whatever IP address is the private IP address of your computer on your own LAN that it uses to connect to whatever cable modem or router you are using. Depending on how you have your modem or router and computer set up, this address can change every time you power up the computer and/or power cycle the router.

The 98.176.24.142 IP address is the Public address of your cable modem. If you are paying for a static IP address. This should never change.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have a router, or a modem/router combo.

You showed enough of your private IP to show that it is private (and assigned by your router). 98... is your public IP address assigned (to the router's WAN side) by your ISP.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Echo, echo, echo. Ya beat me, Chuck! :)

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I didn't see any reply from you for a whole 20 minutes and figured I would jump in. :rolleyes: I'll butt out and let you handle this one if you wish. :)

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I was complaining it was only about my slowness--JohnWill has been too busy lately to catch me like this lately. :)

12. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, but these past couple of responses never came to me, via the (Slow) email service I use for this. I manually checked back.

I have my system set with a router cable modem combo. I have two side-by-side towers, that are not networked, but are simultaneously on the Internet. I use a KVM switch to jump back and forth. (I do some computer graphics, so I use one for that, and the other for play. Some projects get my work system piled high with junk on my desktop, and I tend to loose things I need if I play with that one when I'm working)

Basically I really only need to know if there's any other reason for the IP differences, other than a proxy server. I checked it on another site, and Proxy Server was "suspected" but not verified. If there is no other explanation as to why the difference, then Cox is first-tier support is either unaware, or... well I don't know what. Also, I should note again, the IP from the IP check site is traced back to Cox.

Again, I've run these same tests in the past, with no difference in the IPs. I really don't recall when, but within the past month or so. Nothing has changed on my end, that I'm aware of.

Do you know if I get routed to another server due to upgrades or whatever, if that can do this?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You have multiple computers connected to the same router, accessing the internet through that router. Those computers are on the same (Local Area) network.

I don't know how you had things connected/configured in the past, but if your PC had a public IP something was different.

You said that your ISP has assigned you a static IP (and presumably the mask, gateway and DNS server(s)). What do you care how they have their network set up as long as you get the internet access and bandwidth you're paying for?

What IP address do you have assigned to the WAN side of the router? Is it the same as whatismyip shows? If yes, you are not using a proxy server.

14. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help.

My concern was I was being somehow banned from a site that I use on a daily basis, however I've since learned it's problems on their end. Some new rules went into effect, and I don't think I was in violation of their TOS, but this was sudden and I was in a bit of a panic, so I began checking every variable I could think of and noted the difference in IP addresses. I also noted many people, living in my area, were able to connect which added to my frustration.

I'm pretty bad with connectivity issues, so I wanted to check on that possibility.

Again, thanks!

Regards,
    jnibori

PS- I actually was just sitting down to end this post.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Glad we were of some help. I know that sinking feeling when there seems to be no explanation for a failure to connect.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice