1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quick! Reformatting my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wicked.ludicrous, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wicked.ludicrous

wicked.ludicrous Thread Starter

I am making this thread so that if there's anybody who knows of good manuals or tutorials, they can suggest them. I am actualyl being helped my Cookiegal and flavallee but I just want any suggestions. So please don't delete or move this thread! Thanks
    Well, is it more like I reformat all of my drives or just my C drive?
    I'm quite confused on that. Also, what does it mean to partition??? I saw another old thread about partitioning and it quite confused me. What do I do with partitions? And should I follow what this person did in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/803662-c-drive-partitioning.html

This is probably important as well: if I have to partition my CD, is there a way to do it with no explorer.exe? That process won't start up properly and that's why I want to reformat..

Also, can anyone tell me if I should be aware of anything while reformatting? For example, should I insert the XP install CD after I delete everything and before I restart the computer? I read some manuals but they were all completely different. I liked this one: http://www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html
    but I'm kind of scared to follow it because of the comments.

In all, if anyone can find a specific manual at techguy or on the internet, that would be swell
    Thanks in advance!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. wicked.ludicrous

Do all computers come with a XP cd? I thought mine did but can't find it.
    I looked in the installation guide for my HP computer, and it never refers to a XP installation cd...... what's it supposed to look like?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You bought your HP computer with XP already installed, right?

Then, you probably only have a recovery CD.

5. wicked.ludicrous

awww
    i just got a windows xp media center home cd pack from my friend. will it work when reformatting???? and what's the installation cd look like? i couldn't find a cd or anything...
    But should i rather put my pc to factory settings or should i just reformat my drive??? or the question is more like, which option is less complicated?
    And do I have to partition my hard drive? If I have to, I won't be able to do it because my computer is too slow. Will I be okay if I don't partition?

thanks

6. wicked.ludicrous

Can I run a burnt CD with the reinstallation files? My friend burned the files onto a blank disk (hopefully done correctly) and I will probably run it if it's okay to do so.
    Also, will the PC know that it's an installation CD so that it'll boot up differently and a prompt will come up asking me to boot from CD)?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice