1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quick Video Card Comparison - Core Clock vs Memory Clock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BerretSO4, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

Greetings,

I am trying to compare between two video cards that are very similar, and I'd like some other opinions on which would be the better purchase. The differences are subtle but I am not experienced enough to know how large the effective payout difference will be.

-=-=-
    The first card is here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102834

It is a SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100273L Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. The Core Clock is at 650 MHz, the Memory Clock is at 1000 MHz. The final price would be $102.

-=-=-
    The second card is here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161296

It is a HIS H485FM1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. The Core Clock is at 625 MHz, the Memory Clock is at 1986MHz. The final price would be $109.

-=-=-

My comparison so far is that Card 1 has 25 more MHz Core, but 986 Mhz less Memory Clock.
    Warranties are the same.
    I cannot truly tell, but it seems like the fan on card 1 is less robust than card 2. Can someone confirm this?
    As far as my research has led me, the manufacturers themselves are not very different.
    GRAM, SPU's, etc., are all identical between the cards. The main difference is in the two clock speeds.

The most major question is this: will a gain of 25MHz in the core clock be more beneficial to high-end gaming with a loss of 986 MHz in Memory Clock? My gut feeling is that the higher Memory Clock should win, but I am smart enough in this to know that specs like these can be misleading and that the core clock may not even be fast enough to handle the 1.9GHz memory.

Any help is appreciated! I am looking forward to seeing what Starcraft II actually looks like... :p

Thanks,
    Berret

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

well i would go with the higher memory, either way both good cards but your propcessor is just as important, a good card and rubbish processor just prodeuces bottlenecks, all have to work in combination, graphics cards do the graphics the processor works out whats landing where,
    neither are modern gamers cards just good basic cards all depends on what you are gaming and your resolution requirements for a bit more dosh cheapest i could find is
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ode=24-11707721&DEPA=0&refer=channel&CMP=OTC-

thats an entry level card really but by heck it kicks butt

3. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

First off, thanks for the input. What do you think the equivalent Radeon would be? Just so that I can see generational difference between the above cards and this one.

What I was looking for was a gamer card that is maybe 4th tier. Tom's Hardware tier system has been my comparison and it seemed that the 4850 was a good choice for a budget-saver. Tom's Hardware tier system is located here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-geforce-gtx-480,2598-6.html

The issue comes down to whether we think that's appropriate for gaming, I suppose.

4. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

I just wanted to let anyone interested know that I went with this card instead, considering the notable increase in performance on 3dMark06 when officially compared for only about 15 dollars more. For a person looking for a kick-butt graphics card with only about $100 to spend, look NO FURTHER.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121376

This is the Radeon HD4870. It runs equivalent to the HD5850, I believe, as far as 3d Marks go. This particular card is with rebate (ASUS) and dependable hardware (ASUS). It feels great and runs a bit cooler as both the heatsink and fan are quite robust. Of the above cards, I would choose core clock over memory clock.

40 dollars above this is another tier up - the HD4890 which brings you up to today;s 3rd tier standard, if that is what you are looking for.

Double this card for last year's standard in graphics, which is now second tier, and get the highest 5xxx series Radeon available (for a measily $400) for the top tier. Top tier gets much higher marks but is not used in most gaming profiles yet.

THE DOWNSIDE to sticking with 4xxx level Radeon cards is the DirectX 10.1 maximum. However, if you do not care about this, there practically is not a downside other than not being able to be this year's standard.

Just like with cars, I always choose a gfx card that is at least a year old and widely peer-reviewed. You save a lot of money this way and if you must absolutely stay on the top with games you still can at somewhat less-than-max settings with still great framerate.

That said, Starcraft II gets owned by the Radeon 4870 listed. And I have a hella-old single core Athlon XP+ processor and only 1gb of DDR (yes, DDR) memory. Soon upgrading this as well because they are definitely bottlenecks (I know some of you are gaping at those specs right now), but this gfx card powers through.

If anyone has more questions on this specific price-range within these next few months, shoot me a pm and I should be able to help you.

Cheers!

(MARKED AS SOLVED)

5. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

(BTW, not sure why I don't have edit permissions for my own post but please moderate the name change to "Solved: Quick Video Card Comparison - Finding a Great Radeon for $100" if you get a chance. Thanks.)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!