1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Quicken Backup ... Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by trekguy, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

I have three years worth of Quicken stuff on my laptop. Laptop will not boot, at all.

I have removed the hard drive from the laptop, and installed it in a USB enclosure case.

I can access the drive and see all the files and folders, via the USB enclosure case, with my desktop.

I'm assuming that I cannot actually run the Quicken program from the external "F" drive, with the desktop.

I'm thinking I need to install Quicken on my desktop PC, then get the Quicken information from the laptop drive into it.

If I'm right so far... how EXACTLY do I get the old Quicken info from the laptop hard drive (reports, categories, and everything else) into the newly installed Quicken on the desktop PC??

Normally, I would just try it, and experiment... but I really, really...... really.... don't want to mess this up.

And, if I'm not right.... then what else should I do? :D

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well i am guessing they are saved files of things you created in quicken? If so then is there any way to import files within quicken? If you can then simply browse to the files and bring them in or plan b which is much simpler is to plug the external hd into the desktop then just copy the files over to your desktop.

3. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

Yes, they are files created with Quicken from the laptop. The drive is good, it's the laptop itself that won't work. I'm sure I could import files... but which ones, exactly??? And, would it configure itself, as far as categories, accounts, etc??? Would that come with the import???

Should I copy the entire Quicken folder to the desktop??

And, do I still need to install Quicken on the desktop first??

Thanks

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well this comes down to if you know when you saved things if you know exactly where you saved them you should be able just be able to copy them. What i would possibly try is going to the quicken program folder in your C:programfiles and run the program from there and see if it opens the files and if it does try copying that folder to your desktop,disconnect the external and see if it works. If it does then just add the folder to your program files folder and create a shortcut.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You most certainly need to install Quicken on your machine. Then you can just import the backups from the USB drive.Quicken saves it's files as stand-alone files, it's easy to copy them from the Quicken data folder.

6. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

Thanks, here I go...

7. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

Yessss!!!

It's all there.... oh, it's all there!!! (y) (y) (y)

Thank you guys for your help! (y) (y)

:D

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

Thanks John never used quicken (im 16 so i dont think i need that just yet ;) :D) Just wanted to try and give myself a challenge. :).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!